Curried Ginger Carrot Soup
Once the weather starts to cool off, soup season begins and what better way to get cozy than with wholesome Curried Ginger Carrot Soup! Fall is a great time to explore beautiful ingredients like butternut squash, carrot and other autumn-inspired root vegetables. During the cooler months, homemade soups are a healthy, filling and satisfying way to stay warm, and endless varieties can be created with the simplest of ingredients. This curried ginger carrot soup is the perfect match between healthy ingredients and comforting fall flavours.
Soup for Food Prep
I’ve been all about making a few kinds of soup as part of my weekly feed prep lately. My slow cooker and stovetop have both been working hard. This easy, Curried Ginger Carrot Soup has been on rotation for a few weeks now. I love coming home form work and having it ready to go.
More easy, healthy soups to try for food prep:
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Thai-Style Roasted Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup
- Coconut Ginger Carrot Soup
- Creamy and Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Soup
Soup for Simplicity
Best part about soup? Throw a bunch of stuff in a pot, forget about it, come back and it’s done. I really love creamy, pureed soups but if you really want to keep things simple, you can always go for a chunky soup! I either use my immersion blender directly in the pot or I’ll pour the soup into my blender for an extra creamy puree.
Soup as a Health Food
Homemade soups are typically low in calories, packed with healthy ingredients and a great way to sneak lots of nutrition into your diet. Plus, if you’re like me and love ginger, garlic and onion, all fantastic immunity-boosters, soup is a great to help stay healthy through cold and flu season.
To keep your homemade soups low in fat, skip the oil by using a bit of the vegetable stock to “sauté” ingredients like onion and garlic. While not totally necessary to sauté onion and garlic first, I do find it improves the flavour of the finished product. If you’re short on time or want to keep things extra simple, you can add all the ingredients to the pot at once.
Curried Ginger Carrot Soup
I’ve made this soup three times in the last two weeks, all with varying amounts of the ingredients. You really can’t go wrong. You can make it in your slow cooker or on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes. It’s flavourful, low in fat and carbs and you can increase the protein by stirring in your favourite protein source.
Ginger, garlic and onion pack in the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, as do the carrots and the curry powder adds a beautiful, spiced flavour. I used a mild yellow curry powder but feel free to use a homemade curry spice or play around with other flavours! Spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander, black pepper and even cinnamon would be delicious.Print
- 2 lbs carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onion and garlic to a soup pot and simmer over medium heat in a few splashes of the vegetable stock.
- Once those have started to soften, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the carrots are soft and easily pierced with a fork, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Carefully pour the soup into a blender and process until completely smooth, or use an immersion blender in the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
You can also toss all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8. Once the carrots are soft and almost falling apart, blend and serve.