Over the last few months, life caught up with me and my love for cooking and creating recipes got lost a little bit. A few busy weekends, general life responsibilities, living at the gym…I just wasn’t feeling motivated to get in the kitchen and try anything new. Well, things have changed my friends! I’m back and I couldn’t be happier about it.
Plus, with my new nutrition goals, I’m completely re-motivated to cook and create, and share it all with you! Also, it’s Monday, June 1st today, a Monday and the first of the month, that’s the best kinda day for motivation! My favourite and I’m ready to have an awesome month! …in other news, how is it June?!
I’ve got 3, THREE!!, awesome recipes coming to the blog this week. All healthy, all vegan, all gluten-free and all mega delicious, obviously. Sooo, let’s get started!
For today’s satisfying and nourishing salad, think finely chopped, colourful veggies, comforting brown rice, spicy peanut sauce and crispy tofu. Oh, ya. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
This salad is super filling, I was full for hours and hours after eating it. It makes 4 large meal-sized portions, or 6-8 smaller portions. If you don’t have time for the tofu, or just don’t like the stuff, the salad stands just fine on it’s own, so feel free to leave that out or substitute it with another protein.
Same goes for the brown rice, feel free to substitute with another grain if you like, or leave it out all together. I felt like adding it in for some extra ooomph and it certainly did the trick. Don’t be scared off by the recipe, I know it looks long but it’s all basic ingredients and you can mix-and-match other veggies no problem.
Chopped Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Crispy Tofu
This delicious and healthy chopped salad is both nourishing and satisfying. With all the colourful vegetables, you know you’re getting lots of important vitamins and minerals. The brown rice adds some energy-providing carbs and the tofu, muscle-building protein.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- For the Salad:
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 english cucumber, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- To Make the Tofu:
- 1 x 350 g organic extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes or triangles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- garlic powder
- For the Sauce:
- 4 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Cook the brown rice according to instructions.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a wok over medium to high heat, add the cubed tofu and a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry until crispy and golden brown, stir every so often so it doesn’t burn.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, or use and immersion blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Add a little extra water if it seems too thick.
- Add the dressing to the bowl of veggies and add in the cooked brown rice.
- Mix well. Serve topped with tofu, lots of fresh lime juice and a dash of tamari.
To press your tofu, fold a dish cloth over it and place something heavy on top of it for 20-30 minutes. If you’re crunched for time, it’s not absolutely necessary but it helps to press out extra water and allows it to crisp up nicely while frying.