Chickpea Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These chickpea stuffed zucchini boats require just 4 ingredients! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, easy to make and tastes amazing.
Let’s take a quick look at how to make these easy peasy zucchini boats. First of all, you only need 4 ingredients, so that’s awesome!
- Zucchini. You want some medium-sized zucchinis, big enough to chop in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Chickpeas. I used canned chickpeas since I was cooking from my pantry but you can use your own cooked chickpeas if you like. You’ll need about 3 cups.
- Pasta sauce. Any tomato-based pasta sauce works. I used a store-bought tomato basil pasta sauce.
- Nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy, nutty flavour to the mix. I can’t recommended a substitute for it in this recipe since it’s a key ingredient.
So, get your ingredients ready, scoop out the zucchini seeds. Blend up the chickpeas in a food processor then mix with the sauce and nutritional yeast, stuff it into the boats, bake and enjoy!
Here’s where having a well-stocked vegan pantry comes in handy. With canned chickpeas, nutritional yeast and tomato basil pasta sauce in the pantry plus a fridge full of fresh zucchini (I always have zucchini on my grocery list), these chickpea stuffed zucchini boats were born!
So Easy to Make
How easy are these?! Just 4 ingredients! I was pleasantly surprised by how yummy these turned out for being so simple. The ever-so-slightly sweet, baked zucchini pairs perfectly with the hearty, cheesy, tomato chickpea filling. You can eat them with your hands for a convenient snack or meal or sit down and enjoy them with a knife and fork. They can be eaten as an entree or a side to another dish.
Stuffed Zucchini Nutrition Facts
These babies are healthy, high in fibre, vitamins and minerals, low in fat, high in protein and taste amazing! And at just 120 calories per zucchini boat you can go ahead and dig in. Each zucchini boat provides 19 grams of naturally energizing carbohydrates with under 2 grams of fat and close to 8 grams of plant-based protein. They have almost 6 grams of fibre each and are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A and iron.
All you need is 4 simple ingredients to make this easy stuffed zucchini! Enjoy on their own, as a side or as a topping to a big salad.
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half, seeds scooped out
- 1/4 cup (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pasta sauce of choice
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the cut zucchinis on a baking pan.
- Pulse the chickpeas a few times in a food processor or blender so they’re mostly broken down
- Place in a bowl and mix in the sauce and nutritional yeast.
- Divide the mixture amongst the 8 hollowed-out zucchinis.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the zucchinis are tender and the mixture is browned.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 3.2 grams
- Fat: 1.7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 grams
- Fiber: 5.8 grams
- Protein: 7.8 grams
Keywords: zucchini boats, easy, quick, healthy, plant-based
Originally Posted: May 5, 2017 | Updated: April 8, 2019