I think we’re all pretty familiar with apple crisp, or crumble, whichever you call it in your neck of the woods. It was a regular dessert at my house growing up, but in typical fashion, the crumble was made with butter and brown sugar. I used to sneak into the fridge when I was little and steal bites of the crust, it was so good! Don’t tell anyone about that though..
This healthy apple crisp recipe came completely out of the blue last week when I had some apples to use up. What else did I have kicking around? Hmmmm, lemons, dates, almonds, maple syrup, cinnamon. Those ingredients are just meant to be together, aren’t they? They were just asking to be made into vegan apple crisp!
I chopped up the apples, mixed them with a bit of maple syrup, lemon, cinnamon and cornstarch, then simply mixed the dates and almonds with coconut oil and presto! Vegan and grain-free healthy apple crisp!
Since last week, it was all eaten up at my house, so I had to make it again. Poor me, right? Life is hard.
Seriously, make this. It’s so good. Your home will smell incredible and it’s healthy enough to enjoy on the daily. Or you can top with a huge scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream and call it a day. Comfort food made for fall.Print
- 5 cups sliced apples
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 generous tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup packed soft dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place the sliced apples in a baking dish.
- Mix the cornstarch, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small bowl and then pour over the apples and mix well. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Break down the almonds in a food processor or blender, add the dates, coconut oil and cinnamon and mix until it forms a dough.
- Press the dough over the apples, covering well.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge, covered or in a sealed container.