No-Bake Peppermint Brownies
These no-bake vegan peppermint brownies with chocolate ganache and crushed candy canes are easy to make and perfect for Christmas!
- dietary features: vegan and gluten-free
- quick and easy to make: you’ll need just a few ingredients and minimal prep time
- use the candy canes and peppermint extract for the perfect holiday dessert or leave them out for a decadent treat anytime of year
- peppermint mocha: for a flavour twist, add 2 tsp of instant coffee or espresso powder to the brownie mixture
Ingredients & Substitutions
- nuts – I used a mixture of walnuts and almonds but you can use all walnuts or a mixture of walnuts and pecans
- dates – any variety works as long as they’re soft and moist
- cocoa powder – any variety works, use dark cocoa powder if you can find it!
- chocolate – I used dairy-free chocolate chips but dark chocolate also works
- coconut milk or cream – use good quality, thick, full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream…if you’re worried your coconut milk won’t be thick enough, place a can in the fridge overnight then scoop off the thick coconut cream when you’re ready to make the brownies
- peppermint extract – I love Simply Organic Peppermint Flavor but any kind works here!
Step by Step Instructions
Before You Start: Line a 7 or 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper so the edges of the paper stick out over the sides of the pan. Also, add the candy canes to a bag and crush with a heavy object such as a rolling pin, pepper mill or small hammer.
Step 1. Add the walnuts and almonds to a food processor and blend into a grainy flour.
Step 2. Add the rest of the brownie ingredients and blend into a sticky dough you can easily press between your fingers. Firmly press the dough into the lined baking pan.
Step 3. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave or using the double boiler method. I like to use the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds. Once it’s mostly melted, stir to mix in any remaining bits.
Add the coconut cream or coconut milk to the chocolate and stir until smooth and creamy.
Step 4. Spread the melted chocolate mixture over the brownies in the pan. Top with the crushed candy canes.
Place the entire pan in the fridge or freezer until the ganache is firm then lift out of the pan and cut into squares. Enjoy!
- Fridge: Store in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
- Freezer: Store in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
- Room Temperature: The ganache will start to get very soft after some time so I’d recommend keeping in the fridge until shortly before serving.
- Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- No-Bake Vegan Nanaimo Bars
- No-Bake Chocolate Espresso Brownies
- No-Bake Chocolate Almond Bars
For the Brownies
- 1 cup raw almonds (150 g)
- 1 cup raw walnuts (150 g)
- 2 cups packed, soft pitted dates (440 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache and Topping
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (120 g)
- 3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream (45 g)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 large or a few small crushed candy canes
- Line a 7 or 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the sides of the pan.
- Add the almonds and walnuts to a food proccessor and process into a grainy flour.
- Add the rest of the brownie ingredients and blend into a thick, sticky dough you can press between your fingers.
- Firmly press the dough into the lined baking pan. Set aside while you make the ganache.
- Place the candy canes in a bag and smash with a heavy object such as a rolling pin, pepper mill or small hammer.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds until mostly melted, then stirring to melt in any remaining bits, or use a double boiler to melt it.
- Add the coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (shake very well if opening a new can) to the melted chocolate and stir together until combined, smooth and creamy.
- Spread the melted chocolate mixture over the brownies in the pan then sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the chocolate.
- Place the pan in the fridge or freezer until the ganache is firm, about 30-45 minutes.
- Lift the brownies out of the pan and cut into 16 squares.
For peppermint mocha brownies, add 2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee to the brownie mixture.
If you have a smaller baking pan, around 7 inches square that will work best for the thickness of the final brownies.
If you don’t have almonds on hand, you can use 2 cups walnuts or 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of pecans.
It’s important to use soft, moist dates in this recipe. If your dates are overly dry, soak them (pitted) in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: peppermint brownies, peppermint mocha brownies, no-bake peppermint brownies
Originally published on February 8, 2017. Updated December 2020 with new photos and text.