Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
This vegan pumpkin pasta recipe is easy to make with just a few simple, everyday ingredients. Serve the decadent pumpkin cream sauce over your favourite pasta for a plant-based meal that’s pure comfort food.
- quick and easy – you’ll need just 20 minutes and a handful of ingredients
- dietary needs – vegan, nut-free, can be gluten-free, can be oil-free
- Pumpkin. Use canned pumpkin puree. I like Farmer’s Market canned pumpkin best but any brand works.
- Coconut milk. You’ll need canned, full-fat coconut milk to create the rich and creamy base of the recipe. And don’t worry if you don’t love coconut, the garlic, paprika and pumpkin add enough flavour that the coconut gets overpowered.
- Vegan butter. There’s nothing like garlic sautéed in butter! If you don’t have vegan butter, you can use olive, avocado or coconut oil. If you prefer to keep the recipe oil-free, use a little splash of vegetable broth.
- Garlic. Garlic is a must when it comes to pasta, don’t you think? The recipe calls for 2 cloves but feel free to add more if you’re a big time garlic lover!
Step by Step Instructions
Before you start: Start boiling water to cook your choice of pasta. Get that cooking as soon as the water boils.
Step 1. Melt the vegan butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two, until fragrant.
Step 2. Stir in the canned pumpkin, coconut milk, paprika and salt. Mix it all up and simmer for 5-10 minutes until it thickens up.
Step 3. Add the drained cooked pasta and stir to combine.
Garnish with fresh or crispy fried sage leaves and serve right away.
- any shape of regular or whole-wheat pasta such as penne, linguini or bows
- zucchini noodles
- chickpea pasta
- edamame noodles
- brown rice pasta or another gluten-free pasta of choice
- Coconut Red Lentil Dahl
- Quinoa Chickpea Stew
- Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- Butternut Squash Pasta with Peas and Kale
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the vegan butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée, coconut milk, paprika and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Drain and rinse your pasta and combine it with the pumpkin cream sauce. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Garnish with fresh or crispy sage leaves if using, and serve immediately.
This recipe has been re-printed with permission from Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Keywords: pumpkin pasta, cream sauce, easy, comfort, plant-based
Update Note: This recipe was originally published on August 28, 2017. It was updated in November 2019 with new photos and text.