Vegan Baked Oatmeal Cups
These gluten-free and vegan baked oatmeal cups are made with just 6 simple ingredients: rolled oats, walnuts, banana, plant-based milk, chocolate chips and almond butter.
- Ripe banana. You’ll need 2 medium-sized ripe bananas, not overly ripe so they’re mushy and definitely not under ripe…just perfectly banana, or maybe just slightly more ripe than one you’d want to eat for a snack.
- Peanut or almond butter. I really like these with peanut butter but almond butter or sunflower seed butter work well too.
- Walnuts. These oatmeal cups have a banana bread vibe so walnuts are the perfect addition for a bit of crunch. The nuts also add some healthy fats to help balance the carbs.
- Oats. You can use rolled/old fashioned oats, large flake oats or even quick oats in this recipe.
- Plant-based milk. You can use almond, cashew or soy milk in this recipe. I used unsweetened almond milk.
Thanks to that simple ingredient list, the recipe is vegan, oil-free and gluten-free. I added chocolate chips too, which are optional but obviously recommended.
These are super easy to make! All you need is one mixing bowl, a fork or masher for the banana, a mixing spoon and a muffin tin. Once you’ve mixed up the dough, press it into a muffin tin, bake and enjoy!
Step 1. Mash the banana with the nut butter and milk.
You can use a potato masher, fork or immersion blender to mash the banana. It should be fairly smooth but a few small clumps of banana are ok. An immersion blender works great to really smooth it out! Mix in the nut butter, almond milk and vanilla now too.
Step 2. Mix in the oats, chocolate chips and walnuts.
Mix the oats, walnuts and optional chocolate chips into the banana mixture until you have a thick dough.
Step 3. Bake the oatmeal cups.
Finally, press the dough into 10 muffin tins and bake away! They’re now ready to enjoy.
Try them warm topped with almond butter, on-the-go for a quick snack, a pre-workout or anytime you want a satisfying treat that will still fit your nutrition goals.
Baked Oatmeal Cups Recipe
These simple banana oatmeal cups require just 4 basic ingredients: oats, banana, almond milk and almond butter (or peanut butter!). For more flavour, sweetness and texture, the recipe also includes walnuts for some crunch and chocolate chips for a treat.
More Baked Oatmeal RecipesPrint
- 2 medium (240 g) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup (60 g) almond or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk such as almond or cashew
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional, see notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups (200 g) rolled oats (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup (70 g) walnut pieces or chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the banana to a large mixing bowl and mash until smooth with a fork, potato masher or immersion blender.
- Mix in the almond butter, milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. You can use a mixing spoon or just pulse it a few times with the immersion blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Prepare a standard-sized muffin with with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture into 10 of the muffin tins. The mixture should come to just below the top of each cup. Use your fingers or the back of the measuring cup to press the mixture firmly down into each cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes then let cool in the tin for 3-4 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of each cup then pop them out and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- Enjoy warm topped with vegan butter, almond butter or your favourite nut or seed butter. Let any leftovers cool completely before storing.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 6 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
I’ve made this recipe with and without the maple syrup and the extra hint of sweetness is nice but it’s not necessary, especially if you’re adding chocolate chips. If you use ripe banana, they’ll be lightly sweet and I find that’s enough. The maple syrup is a yummy addition if you want to try it for just a touch more sweetness.
Keywords: baked oatmeal cups, easy, healthy, vegan