How to Make Tofu Scramble
Tofu scramble is one of my favorite simple vegan breakfasts. I love serving it with a side of pancakes and plenty of coffee for a delicious and healthy weekend brunch.
I wanted to go through how to make tofu scramble because it’s super easy, completely customizable, makes a versatile base for delicious recipes like breakfast burritos and is a high protein, healthy, vegan breakfast option.
What you Need to Make Tofu Scramble
- Soy sauce or tamari
- Extra firm or firm tofu
- Good quality non-stick skillet
Optional Scramble Ingredients
- Olive oil: I don’t use any oil to cook mine but if you like you can add a tiny bit of olive oil to the pan, personally I don’t think it’s necessary.
- Nutritional yeast: I sometimes add a little nutritional yeast but it’s totally optional. It adds a slightly cheesy and salty flavour.
- Hot sauce: If you like spice, feel free to add hot sauce or sriacha right into the pan or use it as a topping when you’re ready to eat!
Best Spices for Tofu Scrambles
There are plenty of spice combinations that work for tofu scrambles. I always use turmeric for the vibrant yellow colour it adds, as well as the health benefits and flavour. Here are some other spices you can use in a tofu scramble:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chili powder
I usually keep it simple and just add turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper but any and all combinations of the above spices work great!
Best Veggies for Tofu Scrambles
I recommend always starting with some minced garlic and diced onion. From there, feel free to add in whatever you feel like or whatever you have on hand, even carrot and broccoli work! My favourite combination is garlic, onion, diced bell peppers, jalepeno and a few handfuls of fresh spinach.
- bell peppers
- sweet potato
Other Add-Ins and Toppings
Tofu scrambles are easy and versatile, so you can get creative with different flavour combinations and ingredients. Try throwing in some black beans and corn and topping with salsa for a southwest scramble! Avocado, fresh tomato and chopped scallions make great toppings or you can try adding in fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro or dill!
Tofu Scramble Possibilities
Well, the possibilities are endless! Here are a few ideas:
- Wrap it up in a vegan breakfast burrito
- Healthy huevos rancheros with flat bread and beans
- Serve with pancakes on the side
- Serve with homemade hashbrowns
- Load it into a baked sweet potato’
- Add it to toast and top with avocado and fresh tomato
Here’s my go-to recipe for…
How to Make Tofu ScramblePrint
Tofu scramble is a simple, healthy and delicious alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s very easy to make in about 15 minutes, customizable to your own taste preferences and works great in vegan breakfasts!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 (3-4 tbsp) red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/2 package of extra firm or firm tofu (170 g)
- generous splash of tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp turmeric
- optional spices: 1/4 each of cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, try any or all of them!
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and pepper to the pan and saute for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften. I just add a little water to the pan at this point, if you prefer, you can use 1/2 tsp of olive oil for cooking.
- Add the tofu to the pan. I usually just throw it right in the pan and break it into piece with a spatular or wooden spoon. You can also crumble it with your hands or in a bowl using a fork.
- Mix the veggies and tofu then add in whatever spices you’re using, I like to use turmeric, salt, pepper. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan.
- Cook, stirring, for about 5-7 minutes until the tofu is starting to brown and the pan is becoming dry. If the pan gets to dry while it’s cooking, just add 1 tbsp of water at at time, as needed.
- Add your favourite toppings such as avocado, hot sauce, scallions and serve!