Healthier hot chocolate for a cozy winter drink! Whip up this yummy treat in 5 minutes with just a few simple pantry ingredients.
- 2 cups unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk (500 mL)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or raw cacao powder (15 g)
- 1–3 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste (15–45 g)
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (45 g)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt, optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla almond milk)
- vegan whipped cream for topping, optional
- Heat the almond milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice) in a small pot on the stove over medium-low heat. Suggested to start with 1 tbsp sweetener then adjusting to taste after you melt in the chocolate.
- Whisk to combine and break up any clumps of cocoa powder. Avoid coming to a boil and burning the milk, it should just be nice and steamy! You can enjoy the hot chocolate now or proceed to melt in the chocolate (recommended) for an extra decadent and delicious drink.
- Once heated, add the chocolate chips or dark chocolate and whisk until all of the chocolate has melted and everything is combined and creamy.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with non-dairy whipped cream or vegan marshmallows and a dusting of cocoa powder and/or cinnamon, if desired.
Milk Options: You can use any dairy-free milk you enjoy. Try soy milk, half light coconut milk and almond milk, cashew milk or oat milk.
Sweetening Options: Maple syrup, agave syrup, yacon syrup, cane sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, date paste or syrup, stevia, etc. Start with 1 tbsp and sweeten to taste.
Low-Sugar/Healthier Option: For a healthier, low-calorie option, omit the added chocolate. It won’t be quite as rich and creamy but it’s still yummy!
Nutrition facts include 2 tbsp maple syrup. The recipe makes a generous serving for 2 people. If serving 3, each serving will be 158 calories. The recipe can easily be halved to serve 1. If you omit the chocolate, it’s just 100 calories per serving for 2 people.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 337 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: healthy hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate