These yummy chickpea blondies are part chocolate chip cookie, part brownie and so delicious! You’ll only need a few basic ingredients to make them and they’re gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
What’s a blondie? A blondie, or blonde brownie, is a brownie without the cocoa powder. Instead of a rich chocolate flavour, they’re vanilla flavoured. They’re also much like to a chocolate chip cookie bar, with a similar cookie base.
There are many ways to make blondies but this yummy version is made with chickpeas and are flourless with no eggs or dairy. They also happen to be gluten-free since they’re made with coconut flour. They’re definitely on the healthy side but they still make a great treat.
You’ll need just 4 main ingredients plus your baking basics like salt, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda. Mix it all up, bake them in the oven and enjoy a sweet, delicious chocolate chip treat!
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and can be nut-free.
- Easy pantry ingredient recipe made with just 4 ingredients plus baking basics.
- Taste like a yummy chocolate chip cookie bar and vanilla brownie all rolled into one!
What You’ll Need
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Chickpeas: Canned works, just drain and rinse well before use. You’ll need 2 cups or a 19 oz can. If you only have 15 oz cans, you’ll need to open two but you can reserve the extra for another use.
- Almond Butter: You can any nut butter or for a nut-free recipe, tahini or sunflower seed butter. Just be sure to use a natural nut or seed butter that doesn’t contain added oil or sugar. Note that if you use sunflower seed butter, they may turn a bit green due to it reacting with the baking soda!
- Maple Syrup: Can be substituted with agave syrup.
- Chocolate Chips: For vegan blondies, use dairy-free chocolate chips like Enjoy Life or Camino. Dark chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or chopped dark chocolate also works.
How to Make Them
Before You Start: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the edge of the pan. This will help you lift the bars out once baked.
Step 1. Add everything but the chocolate chips to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Step 2. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter. You can do this right in the food processor container or transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir them in.
Step 3. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Smoothing out the top with a spatula. Sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top if you like!
Bake for 26-27 minutes until golden brown, let cool completely, then slice and enjoy a delicious treat!
They do have a faint chickpea flavour and I’d say they taste u0022healthyu0022 for sure. These are not a decadent dessert, more of a sweet treat you can enjoy anytime you like and is easy to fit into any nutrition plan or for those with allergies.
Because these have no eggs or gluten and the base is just chickpeas, the texture is very soft. You’ll also need to make sure they cool completely before slicing so they can firm up, otherwise they’ll fall apart.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- The blondies will keep at room temperature for 3 days or in the fridge for 1 week.
- Freezer-friendly for up to 3 months.
Gluten-free and vegan chickpea blondies that are super easy to make with just a few ingredients!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a 7 or 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the edges of the pan.
- Place all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor. Process on high speed for 15-30 seconds or until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times to combine or fold them in with a spoon.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula or spoon. Sprinkle the top with a few extra chocolate chips, if you like.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 26-27 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan completely or for at least 2 hours before lifting out with the parchment paper and slicing into 16 squares. It’s important to let them cool before handling as they’ll be mushy and fragile until they cool. Once they cool completely, they will be firm. I like to cool for 1 hour at room temperature and then place the pan in in the fridge for another hour before slicing.
Note that these have a light chickpea flavour and soft texture. They are not a decadent dessert but more of healthier treat option you can enjoy any time. They may not be for everyone but if you’re looking for a sweet treat to fit into your nutrition plan, they’re great!
- Serving Size: 1 blondie
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 91 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: chickpea blondies, vegan chickpea blondies