So it begins. The season of soups and stews! I just love a warm, comforting bowl of soup or stew when it’s rainy and stormy outside, don’t you? Today pretty much sums that up here in Vancouver, so Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew it is.
The rain is coming down, the wind is blowing and it made me crave this beautiful, warming, curried stew for dinner. I make variations of this all the time but had never really wrote down a recipe for it. It’s very simple and there is definitely room to adjust it to your liking or to what veggies you have on hand.
I use both red curry paste and curry powder in this stew for double curry flavour. Curry is one of my favourite flavours and I like to keep a variety of curry powders in my pantry (I call it a pantry but it’s really a tiny apartment cupboard…one day, maybe..I can dream, right?). I added a little turmeric too for that extra rich curried flavour, lovely colour and it’s many health benefits.
For the red curry, I use Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste as it doesn’t contain fish sauce. If you want to keep this recipe vegan, I’d recommend the Thai Kitchen brand or just check the ingredients of whatever you’re using. I’ve always been able to find it in my local grocery stores but if you can’t get your hands on any, you can buy some here.
I wouldn’t normally wish you bad weather but I hope there’s a chilly, stormy day in your future so you can cozy up with this bowl of warmth, health and yumminess. You’ll absolutely love the flavour of this fall-inspired stew! Enjoy!Print
Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Stew
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 lb. potato, chopped into roughly 1” pieces (russet, red, baby or even sweet potato is ok)
- 1/2 crown cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups green peas
- 1 x 28 oz. can chickpeas (approx. 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices and curry paste and continue stirring.
- Add all the veggies and continue cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and coconut and simmer over low heat for approximately 20-30 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
- Stir in the peas and chickpeas, turn off the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please take a moment to share it via your favourite social media network below! If you make it, I’d love to see your pic on Instagram, tag me @runningonrealfood so I can check it out!