Vegan Tofu Cashew Fried Rice
This cashew fried rice is easy to make with simple ingredients and ready in about 20 minutes if you have rice cooked and ready to go. This recipe is vegan, can be made gluten-free and oil-free and is high in plant-based protein.
- tofu – use firm or extra-firm tofu
- oil – sesame oil adds that classic “fried rice” flavour but you can certainly omit and saute the veggies and tofu in water or broth
- cashews – look for cashews with no other ingredient, no oil or salt added
- rice – brown or white rice both work well in this recipe
- soy sauce – sub with gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free recipe
If you’ve prepped brown rice ahead of time, this recipe is easy to make in about 20 minutes. If you don’t have cooked brown rice ready, you’ll need an 20-45 minutes to cook it, depending on the kind you use.
Cook up the tofu, bell peppers and jalapeno, then add the curry powder and cook for a few more minutes.
Add the cashews and green onion, cook for a few more minutes then stir in the sauce and cooked brown rice. Cook until the rice is heated through. It’s ready to enjoy!
Cashew Fried Rice Recipe
Have leftover rice you need to use up? This recipe is perfect for it! With cooked brown rice ready to go, this dish takes about 20 minutes to come together for a quick, easy and healthy weeknight meal.
- use any veggies such as snap peas, zucchini, mushrooms and onion
- swap the tofu for tempeh or chickpeas
- swap the brown rice for cooked farro or quinoa
More Recipes to Try
Loving this fried rice? Here are some more yummy recipes to try:
- Fried Brown Rice with Tofu Scramble
- Healthy Vegan Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Vegan Basil Fried Rice
- Kale Chickpea Stir Fry
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free)
For the Fried Rice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil (use water or broth for oil-free)
- 1 350 g package firm or extra-firm tofu (option to press for 20–30 minutes, see notes)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 6 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- cilantro for serving
- Mix the vegetable stock, cornstarch and soy sauce in a small dish and set aside.
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat then add the tofu, garlic, red pepper and jalapeño. Cook, stirring often for about 10 minutes until the tofu starts to brown.
- Add the curry powder, stir to combine.
- Add the cashews and green onion and cook for a few more minutes until the onions are wilted.
- Add the vegetable stock mixture then stir in the cooked brown rice.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro.
The cornstarch helps the sauce thicken and gives the dish that fried-rice feel. You can definitely leave it out if you prefer.
To press tofu, wrap it in a dish towel and place on a plate. Place a heavy object on top of it and let sit for 20-30 minutes to press out excess water. Alternatively, use a tofu press. Full instructions on pressing tofu here.
Keywords: healthy, plant-based, dinner, easy
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 18
This recipe was originally published December 13, 2015. It was updated January 2020 with new photos and text. No changes were made to the original recipe.