Paleo Coconut Bars with Hemp Seeds
Where has toasted coconut been all my life?!!! These Paleo Coconut Bars with Hemp Seeds are made with toasted coconut for the most amazing coconut flavour I just can’t get enough.
I’ve been in love with toasting coconut and nuts lately, the flavour and smell is sooooo amazing! Toasted cashews? YES! Toasted walnuts? YES! Toasted pecans? YES, YES, DOUBLE YES! Toasted Coconut….yes, all the time, everyday, givvvve me alllllll the coconut.
Have I even eaten toasted coconut by the spoonful recently? Why yes, yes I have, and I am not ashamed. I figured it might be time to add it to a recipe though, so these Paleo Coconut Bars with Hemp Seeds were born.
Healthy Fats From Hemp Seeds
In addition to the toasting of all things delicious, I just can’t get enough healthy fats in my diet right now. Avocados, coconut, hemp seeds, walnuts, cashews, if it has a healthy fat content, I’m eatin’ it…and I’m lovin’ it!
Fats have gotten such a bad rap over the years and it’s lead to a number of misconceptions about this very important macronutrient. It should still be eaten in moderation of course, but you should never be afraid of wonderful, nutritious, plant-based essential fatty acids.
They help feel you full, do wonders for your hair, skin and nails and your hard-working heart and body just love them, so if it’s essential fatty acids you’re looking for, you’ll find it in these bars.
Hemp Seeds For Omega-3 EFAs
Hemp seeds are the highest source of plant-based omega-3 essential fatty acids, an important nutrient for heart hearth and brain functioning. Most people have no problem getting enough omega-6 fatty acids in there diet but omega-3 are the one we need to pay a bit more attention to. By including hemp seeds in your diet on a regular basis, especially if you eat a plant-based diet, is a great way to ensure you’re getting enough of this important fatty acid.
More Hemp Seed Recipes:
- No-Bake Cinnamon Raisin Hemp Seed Balls
- Raw Hemp Seed Maca Balls
- Almond Coconut Protein Bars with Hemp Seeds
Paleo Coconut Bars with Hemp Seeds
These paleo coconut bars are gluten-free, grain-free, vegan and aside from toasting the coconut, no-baking is required. They taste quite sweet but the sugar content is fairly low per portion with only 1/3 cup of natural sweetener in the entire recipe. They’re sweetened with pure maple syrup and only contain a handful of other wholesome ingredients.
Ingredients For Healthier Snacking
- creamy cashew butter, feel free to substitute almond butter!
- delicious toasted coconut, skip the toasting if you need paleo coconut bars stat!
- healthy hemp seeds that add chewy texture and nutty flavour
Choose Your Portion Size
I would definitely recommend cutting these into 16 bars to keep the serving size on the smaller size however you can also cut them into 8 larger bars. If I was heading out on a long hike for example, I’d go for a large bar but for a daily snack, a smaller portion should do it.
I’ve been eating half a bar before 6am CrossFit and I can say for certain that they make a great pre-workout snack, or after-dinner treat, or mid-morning snack, or afternoon bite! Okayyyyyyyy, they’re delicious anytime of day, so go for it!Print
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking pan and bake for approximately 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly browned and toasted.
- While the coconut is toasting, mix the other ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the toasted coconut. Mix well.
- Press the mixture into a wax paper or saran-lined 8×8 baking dish and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Make sure you spend some time really pressing it down into the pan.
- Once it’s set, lift from pan and cut into 16 squares.
- Store in a container in the fridge.