Low carb vegan chow mein? Wha? Yep…it’s happening! Thanks to oodles of zucchini noodles this quick and easy dish is low carb, low fat and packs plenty of plant-based nutrition in each and every bowl!
Low Carb Vegan Chow Mein
Made with zoodles – Buy a spiralizer if you don’t have one!
Low in fat and carbs
Delicious chow mein sauce
Really easy to make
Customize the veggies to your liking
Add baked tofu or edamame for more protein
Great the next day
This is great for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner, especially if you prep the zucchini noodles ahead of time but even if you don’t, it can all come together in under 20 minutes. The sauce is amazing.
More Zoodle Recipes
If you don’t have a spiralizer yet, you can shop and compare brands on Amazon here. It’s one of my most-used kitchen tools and I’d highly recommend getting one if you don’t have one already!Print
- 6 medium zucchinis, approx. 1500 g (Buy a spiralizer here.)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into thin diagonal slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups cabbage, thinly sliced (napa, savoy or sui choy)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (use tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free)
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce (use gluten-free such as Joyce Chen, if needed)
- 2 tbsp roasted red chili paste
- 3 tbsp vegetable broth
- Spiralize the zucchini, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and set aside. Let it sit for 10 minutes then place all the zoodles in a dish towel, wrap up the edges and thoroughly squeeze out all the excess water. Do not skip this step!
- Make the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, red chili paste and vegetable broth. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the carrots and garlic and sauté for 5-10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the green onion and cabbage and continue cooking until the cabbage is wilted.
- Stir in the coriander and ginger.
- Add the zucchini noodles and sauté for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce.
You can pretty much add any veggies you like to this. Typically it had mushrooms added but I’m not the biggest fan, so feel try to add mushrooms while you saute the garlic and carrot. You can also add onion for additional flavour.
Diced red peppers, green beans, bean sprouts or green peas are all great choices too!