Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
This chocolate cherry smoothie is full of nutrients, extra creamy and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry! Drink this feel-good shake for an energizing breakfast or delicious snack anytime of day.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, can be nut-free, no added sugar.
- High in protein and fiber.
- Rich in magnesium and antioxidants.
- Smooth, creamy texture and delicious chocolate cherry flavour!
- Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for breakfast on-the-go.
- Greens: Use fresh or frozen kale or spinach, both work great!
- Cherries: I use pitted frozen cherries, they’re perfect for smoothies. If you’d like to use fresh, you can but be sure to pit them first, of course!
- Frozen Banana: Essential for sweetness and creaminess! To prep bananas for freezing, simply peel, break until chunks and freeze in a freezer safe container or bag. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may want to slice them into small rounds for easier blending.
- Cacao Powder: Cacao powder adds the chocolate element. If you don’t have raw cacao on hand, regular cocoa powder works just fine too!
- Protein Powder: Any kind you like works. You can use chocolate or vanilla. I like North Coast Naturals, Vega, Outcast Mission and NuZest.
- Almond Milk: I used almond milk but any plant-based milk, coconut water or water works here.
- Chia Seeds: Optional but help to thicken the smooth and add additional nutrients like fibre and fats.
- Add the liquid to the blender first then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low until it “catches”.
- Slowly increase speed to high and blend briefly until completely smooth and creamy.
- Keep blending as minimal as possible to avoid melting the smoothie with heat from the blender.
This smoothie is easy to customize. Try any of these add-ins:
- Veggies: For more volume and fiber, add up to 1 cup fresh or frozen cooked cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, beet or sweet potato.
- Fruit: Peach and strawberry work well for additional fruit.
- Fats: Try 1-2 tbsp hemp, flax or chia for thickening and healthy fats.
- Hydration: Try coconut water instead of milk.
- Nutrition Boosters: Try adding 1-2 tsp of “superfood” powders like spirulina, chlorella, maca, moringa or various mushroom powders.
- Smoothie Bowl: Reduce the liquid to as little as possible that will still allow for blending. Blend on low until smooth and creamy like ice cream. Scoop into a bowl and top with granola.
Prep & Storing Instructions
- Can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge. It won’t be quite as thick after storing but it will still be delicious!
- For another prep option, add everything but the liquid to a freezer safe bag or container and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to make your smoothie, dump the ingredients into a blender, add liquid and blend.
- Another option is to make the smoothie and freeze in an ice cube tray. Transfer the frozen smoothie cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container and whenever you’d like a smoothie, toss a few in a blender with some liquid and blend it up! You can also add the cubes to any other smoothie.
This deliciously creamy chocolate smoothie is rich in feel-good nutrients and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry! Try it with vanilla protein powder for extra flavour and protein or throw in a couple sweet, caramel medjool dates for sweetness.
- Add the milk to a blender then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low then slowly increase speed, blending briefly on high until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 28 g
Keywords: cherry smoothie, chocolate cherry smoothie