Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
This chocolate cherry smoothie is full of nutrients, extra creamy and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry! Drink this feel-good shake for an energizing breakfast or delicious snack anytime of day.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, can be nut-free, no added sugar.
- High in protein and fiber.
- Rich in magnesium and antioxidants.
- Smooth, creamy texture and delicious chocolate cherry flavour!
- Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for breakfast on-the-go.
- Greens: Use fresh or frozen kale or spinach, both work great!
- Cherries: I use pitted frozen cherries, they’re perfect for smoothies. If you’d like to use fresh, you can but be sure to pit them first, of course!
- Frozen Banana: Essential for sweetness and creaminess! To prep bananas for freezing, simply peel, break until chunks and freeze in a freezer safe container or bag. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may want to slice them into small rounds for easier blending.
- Cacao Powder: Cacao powder adds the chocolate element. If you don’t have raw cacao on hand, regular cocoa powder works just fine too!
- Protein Powder: Any kind you like works. You can use chocolate or vanilla. I like North Coast Naturals, Vega, Outcast Mission and NuZest.
- Almond Milk: I used almond milk but any plant-based milk, coconut water or water works here.
- Chia Seeds: Optional but help to thicken the smooth and add additional nutrients like fibre and fats.
- Add the liquid to the blender first then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low until it “catches”.
- Slowly increase speed to high and blend briefly until completely smooth and creamy.
- Keep blending as minimal as possible to avoid melting the smoothie with heat from the blender.
This smoothie is easy to customize. Try any of these add-ins:
- Veggies: For more volume and fiber, add up to 1 cup fresh or frozen cooked cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, beet or sweet potato.
- Fruit: Peach and strawberry work well for additional fruit.
- Fats: Try 1-2 tbsp hemp, flax or chia for thickening and healthy fats.
- Hydration: Try coconut water instead of milk.
- Nutrition Boosters: Try adding 1-2 tsp of “superfood” powders like spirulina, chlorella, maca, moringa or various mushroom powders.
- Smoothie Bowl: Reduce the liquid to as little as possible that will still allow for blending. Blend on low until smooth and creamy like ice cream. Scoop into a bowl and top with granola.
Prep & Storing Instructions
- Can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge. It won’t be quite as thick after storing but it will still be delicious!
- For another prep option, add everything but the liquid to a freezer safe bag or container and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to make your smoothie, dump the ingredients into a blender, add liquid and blend.
- Another option is to make the smoothie and freeze in an ice cube tray. Transfer the frozen smoothie cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container and whenever you’d like a smoothie, toss a few in a blender with some liquid and blend it up! You can also add the cubes to any other smoothie.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This deliciously creamy chocolate smoothie is rich in feel-good nutrients and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry! Try it with vanilla protein powder for extra flavour and protein or throw in a couple sweet, caramel medjool dates for sweetness.
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pitted cherries (210 g)
- 1 small frozen banana (100 g)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (15 g)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, optional (12 g)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (16 g)
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla or chocolate protein powder (30 g)
- 1 cup or small handful spinach or kale (35 g)
- Add the milk to a blender then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low then slowly increase speed, blending briefly on high until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 28 g
Keywords: cherry smoothie, chocolate cherry smoothie
Sweet, creamy, & chocolatey! I have made this smoothie several times & it never disappoints. I love the chocolate & cherry combo. Thank you for a phenomenal smoothie! Xoxo.
You’re welcome! I’m so glad you love it.
When you suggest cauliflower as an additive you always say use fresh or cooked frozen, I keep frozen cauliflower in my freezer, I love it. Can I use the frozen raw cauliflower in smoothies? The only way I get raw veggies and fruits is in smoothies. I cannot eat raw,veggies,fruits,nuts seeds, just a few things I can’t have because of a condition I have, Crohns.
You can use raw frozen cauliflower if you’re ok digesting it. I have a hard time with raw cauliflower so I steam it then freeze it for smoothies. Up to you!
Thank you for the great recipe! I only recently found your site and have made several things already – they’ve all been awesome!! Loved this smoothie – love the chocolate cherry combo.
Glad you enjoyed it! Let me know what else you get a chance to try.
This was just what I needed this morning! I loved the flavour combo of cherries and chocolate.
This was very tasty. I used a whole frozen banana and less cherries but it was yummy! Recently got a Vitamix and am having so much fun with these creations… it’s 1000x time better than a regular blender. I’m so happy I got it!
Amazing post. I love how healthy and delicious your recipes are. It is indeed possible for people to enjoy eating healthy food, Kudos to you for keeping things interesting.