Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
This chocolate cherry smoothie is full of nutrients, extra creamy and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry! Drink this feel-good shake for an energizing breakfast or delicious snack anytime of day.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, can be nut-free, no added sugar.
- High in protein and fiber.
- Rich in magnesium and antioxidants.
- Smooth, creamy texture and delicious chocolate cherry flavour!
- Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for breakfast on-the-go.
- Greens: Use fresh or frozen kale or spinach, both work great!
- Cherries: I use pitted frozen cherries, they’re perfect for smoothies. If you’d like to use fresh, you can but be sure to pit them first, of course!
- Frozen Banana: Essential for sweetness and creaminess! To prep bananas for freezing, simply peel, break until chunks and freeze in a freezer safe container or bag. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may want to slice them into small rounds for easier blending.
- Cacao Powder: Cacao powder adds the chocolate element. If you don’t have raw cacao on hand, regular cocoa powder works just fine too!
- Protein Powder: Any kind you like works. You can use chocolate or vanilla. I like North Coast Naturals, Vega, Outcast Mission and NuZest.
- Almond Milk: I used almond milk but any plant-based milk, coconut water or water works here.
- Chia Seeds: Optional but help to thicken the smooth and add additional nutrients like fibre and fats.
- Add the liquid to the blender first then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low until it “catches”.
- Slowly increase speed to high and blend briefly until completely smooth and creamy.
- Keep blending as minimal as possible to avoid melting the smoothie with heat from the blender.
This smoothie is easy to customize. Try any of these add-ins:
- Veggies: For more volume and fiber, add up to 1 cup fresh or frozen cooked cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, beet or sweet potato.
- Fruit: Peach and strawberry work well for additional fruit.
- Fats: Try 1-2 tbsp hemp, flax or chia for thickening and healthy fats.
- Hydration: Try coconut water instead of milk.
- Nutrition Boosters: Try adding 1-2 tsp of “superfood” powders like spirulina, chlorella, maca, moringa or various mushroom powders.
- Smoothie Bowl: Reduce the liquid to as little as possible that will still allow for blending. Blend on low until smooth and creamy like ice cream. Scoop into a bowl and top with granola.
Prep & Storing Instructions
- Can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge. It won’t be quite as thick after storing but it will still be delicious!
- For another prep option, add everything but the liquid to a freezer safe bag or container and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to make your smoothie, dump the ingredients into a blender, add liquid and blend.
- Another option is to make the smoothie and freeze in an ice cube tray. Transfer the frozen smoothie cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container and whenever you’d like a smoothie, toss a few in a blender with some liquid and blend it up! You can also add the cubes to any other smoothie.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- Add the milk to a blender then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low then slowly increase speed, blending briefly on high until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 28 g
Keywords: cherry smoothie, chocolate cherry smoothie