Vegan Black Bean Soup
This popular, spicy vegan black bean soup recipe is easy to make in 30 minutes with just a handful of everyday ingredients. This really is the best black bean soup and it’s sure to become a new family favourite!
- quick and easy to make in under 30 minutes with simple ingredients
- budget-friendly and great for a family meal
- nutrition features: low-fat, high-protein, high-fiber
- dietary features: vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free
- hearty, filling and so delicious, you will love this 5-star rated recipe!
- onion – yellow or white is best here
- jalapeno – use more or less according to your spice preference
- broth – any store-bought or homemade broth or bouillon cubes or powder works
- green bell pepper – recipe calls for green pepper but red pepper is fine if that’s what you have on hand
- tomato sauce – use canned or jarred plain “tomato sauce” or any plain tomato pasta sauce
- black beans – canned black beans work great but you can use cooked from scratch too
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
Step-by-Step with Photos
Step 1. Saute the Veggies. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper to a large soup pot with a splash of the vegetable broth and cook for 6-7 minutes until fragrant and softened.
Step 2. Add the Herbs & Spices. Stir in the cumin, oregano and chili powder and cook for a few more minutes.
Step 3. Cook the Soup. Add the broth, tomato sauce and black beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Step 4. Blend Half the Soup. Scoop half of the soup into a blender and puree until very smooth.
Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender in the pot but I like the creaminess achieved by transferring it to the blender. Pour back into the pot and stir together.
Finally, stir in the cilantro and lime and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Add any toppings and enjoy!
Black bean soup is all about the toppings! Here are some yummy ideas for enjoying your soup, choose any or all:
- lime juice or zest
- crushed tortilla chips or serve with soft corn tortillas for dunking
- diced avocado
- sour cream or chipotle sauce
- grated cheese
- jalapeno slices
- chopped cilantro, chives or green onion
- salsa, pico de gallo, salsa verde or tomatillo sauce
- Omit the jalapeno if you’re sensitive to spice.
- For spicer soup, add up to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red chili flakes or additional jalapeno.
- Vegetable amounts don’t have to be exact so don’t worry if you’re a little short or over here and there! You can use a bit more carrot and less celery, for example.
- Fridge: Keeps well for up to 5 days in a sealed container.
- Freezer: Let cool then store in a freezer-safe container in 1 batch or individual portions for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat as needed.
- Reheating: Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
This amazing, spicy vegan black bean soup is easy to make in under 30 minutes for a healthy and delicious meal that’s perfect any night of the week.
- 1 heaping cup diced onion (160 g, approx. 1 small or 1/2 a large)
- 1 heaping cup peeled and diced carrot (160 g, approx. 2 medium)
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g, approx. 3 ribs)
- 1/2 a jalapeno, de-seeded and minced (or a whole one for extra heat)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3–4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce (any plain tomato pasta sauce works)
- 1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (330 g, about 2.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno and garlic to a large soup pot with 2 tbsp of vegetable broth and saute over medium heat for 6-7 minutes until fragrant and softened.
Add the broth, tomato sauce and black beans and bring the soup to a light simmer. Simmer lightly, uncovered, until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Carefully scoop half of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Be sure to allow steam to escape from the blender when blending. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and pulse the soup 5-6 times right in the pot to create texture. If you used a blender, pour the blended portion back into the pot with the remaining soup.
Stir in the cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve right away with toppings like avocado, grated dairy-free cheese or sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.
Sub 2-3 chili peppers in adobo sauce for the jalapeno for more of a chipotle flavour or increase the jalapeno to 1-2 if you want more spice.
Start with 3 cups of vegetable broth and add a bit more if it seems too thick, it just depends on the exact amount of veggies you use and how thick you want your soup.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe (350 g)
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: black bean soup, vegan black bean soup, spicy black bean soup
Originally published January 18, 2018.