This zucchini hummus is made without chickpeas and is easy to make in 5 minutes with just 5 healthy ingredients!
- vegan, gluten-free, bean-free and oil-free – great for those with dietary restrictions
- quick and easy – you’ll need just 5 minutes, 5 ingredients and a food processor
- great way to use up extra zucchini – for more options you might like my Vegan Twice Baked Stuffed Zucchini or Chickpea Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Ingredients You’ll Need
- zucchini -use fresh zucchini
- tahini – any kind works, just make sure the only ingredient is sesame seeds…it shouldn’t have added oil or any other ingredients
- lemon – fresh lemon juice for some zip!
- salt – use a good quality sea salt for best results
- garlic – you’ll need a few cloves of fresh garlic but feel free to increase that if you’re a garlic lover!
How to Make It
Step 1. Peel and roughly chop the zucchini. You’ll need 4 cups of zucchini chunks which should be 3 small or 2 medium-sized zucchini.
Step 2. Add everything to a food processor or high-speed blender and mix on low until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning if needed and enjoy!
Quick Tip: Don’t over blend or the hummus will get watered down. Once everything is broken down and the mixture is smooth, stop blending.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- try adding 1/2 cup fresh herbs to switch up the flavour, basil, cilantro and parsley are all lovely!
- use as a dip for raw veggies, fresh pita, pita or tortilla chips, a spread for sandwiches and wraps or on salads and bowls
- store the hummus in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days
For more zucchini recipes, check out my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins and Vegan Zucchini Bread.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Chickpea-Free Zucchini Hummus
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 3 cups
- Category: Dip
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This delicious zucchini dip is made without chickpeas and oil for a light and healthy twist on traditional hummus. Enjoy with veggies, pita, salads, bowls and more!
- 4 cups peeled and roughly chopped fresh zucchini (500 g)
- 1/3 cup cup tahini (80 g)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 medium-size garlic cloves (about 15 g)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- Roughly peel the zucchini and chop into large chunks.
- Add everything to a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Start blending on slow until it gets going then give it a quick blast on medium to high to smooth it out. Don’t over blend or it will start to get watered down.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed. Add more salt or lemon, or a pinch of pepper and/or cumin for additional seasoning.
- Scoop the hummus into a bowl and serve right away or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serve as a dip for raw veggies, fresh pita, pita or tortilla chips, as a spread for sandwiches and wraps, with roasted veggies or any other use you can think of.
4 cups roughly chopped zucchini is approximately 3 small or 2 medium-sized zucchini.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 99.3 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
Keywords: hummus no chickpeas, zucchini hummus, hemp seed hummus
This recipe was originally published July 5, 2013. It was updated with new photos and text July 20, 2020.
Just made this and it turned out super good! I didn’t peel the zucchini and used only one big clove of garlic.