Tortilla soup is right up there on the list of my favourite meals ever. This easy to make, healthy vegan tortilla soup is spicy, hearty and flavourful. The tortillas give it a wonderful thickness and the different spices lend a beautiful layering of flavours. Top it with avocado, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips for a filling, healthy meal perfect for lunch or dinner.
This vegan version of Mexican tortilla soup is spicy, hearty and filling. Top it with avocado, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips for a wonderfully filling lunch or dinner.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 handfuls of tortilla chips, plus more for topping (preferably baked, low-sodium, organic etc. but any kind will do)
- 1 large onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1.8 L of vegetable stock
- 1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 a small jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly-packed cilantro leaves, plus cilantro for topping
- 1/2 avocado/person, diced for topping
- lime wedges for serving
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and spices and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, jalapeno, chips and cilantro. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring often. The tortilla chips should be completely mixed in. Remove bay leaves.
- To serve, ladle into a bowl and top with cilantro leaves, 1/2 an avocado, juice of a wedge of lime and more crushed chips.