There is no chicken and no butter in this recipe but I didn’t know what else to call it, so easy ” vegan butter chicken” it is! I was thinking of calling it “Butter” Tofu but it really doesn’t have the same ring to it. Regardless of the name, it is seriously delicious. I would even give it lick-the-bowl status but depending on your table manners, I’ll leave that call up to you.
Healthy Homemade Indian Food
I love Indian flavours and cook a lot with spices like curry powder, turmeric, coriander and cinnamon. Along with chili powder, those are the spices that really bring this dish together. The cinnamon in it is awesome combined with the more savoury curry, chili powder and turmeric.
Fresh ginger and garlic are in there too, of course! I go through ginger and garlic at my house like there’s no tomorrow and I can’t remember the last time I was sick. Maybe it’s all the spices, maybe it’s a combination of things but whatever it is, I’ll take it!
Creamy Vegan Butter Chicken
This dish is rich and creamy, high in protein and packed with nutrition. The creaminess comes from blending raw cashews with almond milk, my typical go-to for replacing cream in recipes. I haven’t really ventured much into other options for replacing cream but I’m going to look into it since I know some you have nut allergies or intolerances. You might be able to get away with using tofu for the sauce but I haven’t tried it in this recipe.
Vegan Butter Chicken
This recipe is one of my new favourites, the flavour is unreal! Plus it takes less than 30 minutes to make, which is absolutely key for any meal at my house. I occasionally make meals that take longer but day-to-day, no thanks. Quick and easy is the name of the game! The ingredient list seems a bit long but it’s mostly spices and if you have a well-stocked pantry, you should be ready to go! You can even make this dish in advance as part of your weekly food prep. It keeps well, can be frozen and the flavours only improve the next day.
I’m actually pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. I get by on the basics and I’m not one to make really elaborate recipes or multi-course meals. I’ve been trying to focus on bringing you simple, plant-based meals lately so I hope you’ve been enjoying them!
Incredible, vegan “butter chicken style” tofu ready in less than 30 minutes. This is so easy to make for a quick weeknight dinner!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (use vegetable stock or water if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 – 28 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 package organic extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Press your tofu for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the raw cashews and almond milk in a high speed blender and mix until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add all the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, maple syrup, cubed tofu and cashew mixture. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and fresh cilantro.
- It’s not 100% necessary to press your tofu if you’re in a pinch. However, I would recommend it if you have time. Simply fold a dish cloth around the block of tofu and set a few heavy books or plates on top of it. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. This presses all the water out so it’s able to soak up all the yummy Indian flavours!
I greatly appreciate your feedback and comments so if you try this recipe do come back and let me know how you like it!