Easy Vegan Butter Chicken
This gluten-free and vegan butter chicken is made with tofu instead of chicken and wonderfully rich cashew cream instead of dairy. Serve over rice for a hearty, filling and flavourful plant-based meal.
The ingredient might seem a bit long but most of it is spices so don’t be intimidated! Let’s go over a few notes about the ingredients:
- Raw cashews. You’ll need plain, raw cashews to make the cream base for this recipe. Raw cashews are light beige in colour and have no other added ingredients like oil or salt.
- Spices and herbs. You’ll need onion, garlic, ginger, chili powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin and cinnamon. 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- Diced tomatoes. You’ll need 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and you’ll be adding the entire can right into the recipe. Choose organic and no salt added tomatoes if you can!
- Tofu. Firm or extra-firm tofu is best for this recipe. For best results you can press it before hand but it’s not totally necessary.
Vegan Butter Chicken Recipe
This recipe is one of my new favourites, the flavour is unreal! Plus it takes less than 30 minutes to make, which is absolutely key for any meal at my house.
I’m actually pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. I get by on the basics and I’m not one to make really elaborate recipes or multi-course meals. I’ve been trying to focus on bringing you simple, plant-based meals lately so I hope you’ve been enjoying them!
More Vegan Curries and Stews
Here are some more delicious recipes you’ll love:
- Best Red Lentil Coconut Dahl
- Red Curry Lentil Cauliflower Stew
- Curried Chickpea Potato Stew
- Chickpea Peanut Stew
- Vegan Panang Curry with Tofu
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (use vegetable stock or water if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 package organic firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press your tofu for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the raw cashews and almond milk in a high speed blender and mix until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add all the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, maple syrup, cubed tofu and cashew mixture. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with rice and fresh cilantro.
- It’s not 100% necessary to press your tofu if you’re in a pinch. However, I would recommend it if you have time. Simply fold a dish cloth around the block of tofu and set a few heavy books or plates on top of it. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. This presses all the water out so it’s able to soak up all the yummy Indian flavours!
Keywords: butter tofu, easy, healthy, low-carb