Chocolate Avocado Banana Smoothie
This vegan Chocolate Avocado Banana Smoothie is extra thick and creamy, perfectly sweet, packed with flavour and highly nutritious. Whether or not you love avocado, you’ll love the smooth, creamy texture it adds to this smoothie.
Avocado is an ideal source of healthy fats, fibre and antioxidants and I love add to smoothies. It’s creamy texture blends perfectly and it’s mild flavour works with pretty much anything. Avocado goes well with all kinds of flavours such citrus, chocolate and berries but unless you’re adding a lot you can’t really taste it either way.
You can use fresh or frozen avocado in smoothies. I usually have both fresh and frozen avocado on hand but for this creamy chocolate drink, I went with fresh for a beautiful creaminess you will love.
You can also try avocado in this low-sugar chocolate avocado smoothie.
To create this superfood avocado smoothie, I loaded it up with some of my favourite power ingredients. Some of these additions are your everyday healthy ingredients and some, like cacao and maca, are a little more fancy. If you don’t have access to them, I’ve provided some substitutions below.
- maca – energy, stamina, hormone-balancing
- almond butter – fiber, protein, healthy fats, improved blood cholesterol levels, energy,
- avocado – fibre, healthy fats, antioxidants
- cacao nibs – antioxidants, magnesium, iron, calcium
- raw cacao powder – antioxidants, magnesium, iron, calcium
- cauliflower – vitamin C, vitamin K, protein, magnesium, fiber, potassium, niacin and more
- If you don’t keep maca on hand, you can leave it out or substitute it with another superfood powder such as reishi, chaga, lucuma or camu camu.
- Almond butter can be substituted with any other nut or seed butter.
- Though highly recommend for the amazing crunch they add, the cacao nibs can be left out, or substituted with dairy-free chocolate chips or carob chips. You can add them in with the rest of the ingredients or pulse them in once the smoothie is blended for a chocolate chip avocado smoothie.
- Cacao powder can be substituted with cocoa powder, this will provide the chocolate flavour but you’ll lose the superfood benefits of cacao.
Cauliflower in Smoothies
I used to just use raw cauliflower in smoothies but since I started paying more attention to how I was feeling after eating certain foods and realized that it might have been the culprit of some bloating and digestive issues, I’ve switched to lightly steaming it before freezing.
I think it depends on the amount too though, I only used 1/2 cup of cauliflower pieces in this smoothie so I could probably tolerate it without steaming. You know your body best. If you can tolerate raw cauliflower go for it, but most of our digestive systems could probably benefit from lightly steaming it first.
More Veggie Smoothie Recipes
- Blueberry Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Green Monster Smoothie
- Turmeric Carrot Butternut Squash Smoothie Bowl
- Low-Sugar Blueberry Coconut Smoothie
Creamy Chocolate Avocado Banana Smoothie
This amazing chocolate banana smoothie is incredibly creamy and has just the right consistency and rich, decadent and delicious taste. If you’re not a big avocado fan, don’t worry, you can’t taste it in the smoothie so its a good way to enjoy the many benefits of avocado, even if you’re not an eat-an-avcoado-with-a-spoon kinda person.
You can’t taste the cauliflower either so it’s a good way to sneak some of this fibre-rich veggie into your diet.
This smoothie is anti-inflammatory, high in magnesium, full of antioxidants, high in fibre and contains many other vitamins and minerals. You can enjoy it for breakfast or a snack anytime of day or as a post-workout recovery drink.
I know the ingredient list seems a little long but some of it’s optional and you should most of in your fridge or pantry already. For fruit and veggies, you’ll need cauliflower, avocado and frozen banana.
I also added dates but they could be left out if you don’t have any or want to reduce the sugar content. I added plant-based protein for extra protein and sweetness. I recommend adding 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt as it really enhances the flavour of the smoothie.
More Smoothie Recipes
Here are some more delicious smoothies you’ll love:
- Orange Mango Smoothie
- Papaya Smoothie
- Beet Orange Smoothie
- Vegan Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Protein Shake
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
This decadent and creamy chocolate avocado banana smoothie contains a list of superfood ingredients that will leave you buzzing with energy. It’s high in fibre, nutritionally-balanced, packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and tastes amazingly rich and decadent. It has quite a few ingredients but they’re all fairly common, are probably already in your pantry and they all do their part in taking this superfood smoothie to the next level.
- 1 tbsp (7 g) raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp (20 g) cacao nibs
- 1 (120 g) medium frozen banana
- 1/4 of an avocado (30 g)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) steamed then frozen cauliflower pieces
- 1 serving (30 g) vegan vanilla protein powder of choice
- 1 tbsp (15 g) almond butter
- 1 cup liquid of choice, either plant-based milk, water or coconut water
- 1 tsp maca (optional, for added health benefits)
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt (optional, enhances flavour)
Keywords: avocado banana smoothie, chocolate avocado smoothie