Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These buffalo chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect combination of sweet, tangy and spicy. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and easy to make with everyday ingredients.
These are easy to make and even easier if you make the baked sweet potatoes, chickpeas and dressing in advance.
Once it’s all made, it’s just a matter of throwing it all in your baked sweet potato and digging in. I added avocado for some cool, creamy texture and green onion for a little crunch and extra pop of flavour.
Vegan Ranch Dressing
These stuffed sweet potatoes are topped off with avocado, green onion and a tangy, vegan ranch dressing. I know some of you are either soy-free or nut-free so I’ve provided two options to make the vegan ranch: it can be made with raw cashews or soft tofu, both with delicious results.
Whether you use nuts or tofu, the rest of the dressing ingredients are the same:
- apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt
I kept it simple but you can also fold in some chopped dill, chives or parsley to add another layer of ranch flavour. A spoonful of nutritional yeast also works for a bit of extra flavour. For another option, try my tahini ranch dressing.
How to Make Buffalo Chickpeas
To make addictively delicious buffalo chickpeas:
- toss a rinsed and drained can of chickpeas with buffalo sauce, a bit of oil, garlic powder and sea salt
- cook ’em up in a pan until the sauce is thickened, mashing some of the chickpeas as you cook them for added texture
- mix in more buffalo sauce and enjoy
The chickpeas are perfect for topping baked sweet potatoes but you can also use them in my spicy chickpea wraps, salads and soups.
They can also be mashed with some diced celery and red onion to make a spicy egg salad-inspired sandwich. Or just eat them on their own because they’re seriously addictive and delicious!
Not into buffalo sauce? Try this recipe with BBQ chickpeas instead.
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are a few extras and variations you can try:
- add diced peppers
- add diced red onions
- add steamed broccoli
- try buffalo cauliflower instead of buffalo chickpeas
- try BBQ chickpeas instead of buffalo chickpeas
- add fresh cilantro or parsley
- add grated carrot
- add fresh or sautéed spinach or kale
- use this tahini ranch dressing or vegan tzatziki instead of the tofu-based sauce
More Recipes to Try
Loving these stuffed sweet potatoes? Here are some more recipes you might like:
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wraps
- Buffalo Cauliflower Kale Salad
- Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Buffalo Dip
- Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
These Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are topped with creamy avocado, tangy vegan ranch dressing and crunch green onions. You will love the flavour in this healthy and satisfying vegan meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
For the Buffalo Chickpeas
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or approx. 2 cups or 360 grams cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
For the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 package (150 g) of soft tofu (see notes for substitution)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- optional: 2 tbsp of fresh chopped dill, chives or parsley
For the Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 small to medium-sized baked sweet potato per person (or half a medium to large-sized)
- 1/4 of an avocado per person
- chopped green onion, for topping
- If you don’t have cooked sweet potatoes on hand, bake those now. You will need up to 50 minutes, depending on their size. Find complete instructions on baking sweet potatoes here.
- Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas in a bowl and mix with 1/3 cup buffalo sauce, the olive, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook in a pan until they start to thicken and almost caramelize. This should take about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. As you stir, mash some of them up to create some texture
- Once they’re done, mix in the extra 1 tbsp of buffalo sauce.
To Make the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Add all ingredients (except the herbs, if you’re using) to a food processor or high-speed blender, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth and creamy. I like using the single-server portion of my Ninja Blender for this.
- Add additional water if desired to adjust the consistency.
- If you’re adding fresh dill or parsley, stir them in once it’s blended.
To Assemble the Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- If using halved baked sweet potatoes, place 1-2 halves in a bowl or on a plate. If using whole sweet potatoes, cut the sweet potato in half and open it up a bit so you can add the rest of the ingredients, place in a bowl or on a plate.
- Add a scoop of chickpeas, sliced avocado, chopped green onion, and a drizzle of the vegan ranch dressing.
I haven’t tried making the chickpeas without the olive oil but if you prefer, I think it would be okay to leave it out if you want the recipe to be oil-free.
As an alternative to soft tofu, you can use raw cashews to make the vegan ranch dressing. Use 1/3 cup raw cashews blender with 2 tbsp of water to replace the 1/2 a package of tofu. The rest of the ingredients can stay the same except you may need to adjust the water a bit to reach the right consistency. For best results and the smoothest dressing, soak the cashews for at least a few hours and drain before using.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: stuffed sweet potatoes, chickpea stuffed sweet potato
This recipe was originally published August 17, 2017. It was updated January 2020 with new photos and text.
Amazing! We loved it! I scooped out some of the sweet potato, mashed it and stirred it into the chickpeas and then stuffed the potatoes with the filling. So delicious!
Thank you, Katie! Great idea to mix the sweet potato into the chickpeas – I’ll have to try that!
Wow! This recipe turned out fantastic! I truly enjoyed the combo of the spicy chickpeas and the cool ranch dressing (I made mine with the cashew substitution you listed)! Thank you for another lovely recipe!
These were fantastic! I did make the chickpeas oil free and they still turned out great (I used Frank’s Buffalo Sauce). I love the mixture of the sweet potato with the spicy chickpeas and the ranch dressing (I made mine with the cashew substitution you listed). This was so easy too which is always a bonus! Thanks for another great recipe!
This was absolutely to die for! Super easy, incredibly flavourful with different textures. My tummy is in heaven right now!!!
This is my go to for my vegan/vegetarian dinner guests! Even carnivores find this recipe so fulfilling and a great change! I’ve made this with both a tofu and cashew based ranch dressing, both were great but cashew was creamier! This is easier than you think and so fantastic! Please give it try, you won’t be disappointed! Thank you for sharing this recipe! ❤️
Yes! Love it with cashews too. I’m so glad this recipe has been a hit for you! Thanks for the review.
One of my favorite recipes I’ve ever eat in my life! A regular in our house. Easy to make too. I prefer the cashew ranch vs tofu, but that’s just me.
I’m so glad to hear you love it! I love the cashew option too…so yummy! Thanks for the review.
So yum!! Easy simple and very delicious, one of my go-to meals! Thank you!
This is one of my family’s favorite meals. We all have different dietary preferences but it fits everyone’s needs and is SERIOUSLY delicious! Even the carnivores are obsessed!! The ranch is awesome. I didn’t soak my cashews but used my Magic Bullet blender end it came out perfect. A must-try!
Do you have buffalo sauce recipe for those of us in Europe who cannot buy it at the store?
Hi Annie, I’m sorry I don’t have one but if you Google “homemade buffalo sauce” you’ll find some good options! You could also switch it up and use any BBQ sauce or hot sauce. Thanks!
Amazing. Will definitely be one of our new easy go to’s!
So glad it made it to your go-to list!
New favorite dish! I used Franks’s…the whole thing was so easy to make and so flavorful. So yummy!! Thank you!
Soooo good! I didn’t have avocado but it was still really good. I used Franks buffalo sauce…will make these again!
This is officially my new favorite meal! So delicious!
My husband and I absolutely loved this recipe!! Easy to make and so satisfying!! And your ranch dressing is my new favourite veggie dip! Thanks again for the delicious recipes 🙂
You’re welcome! I’m so glad you enjoy it!
These were amazing!! Truly loved them. Will make again soon!!