Oooo, the flavours in this one are like yum, yum, yum. Barley is one of my favourite grains, I just love the chewy texture it has, so I thought why not try it in a fresh and flavourful Moroccan salad!
If you’ve never cooked barley before, no worries, it’s just about as easy as can be. Just add it to a pot with water, boil and then simmer covered until soft and chewy. It usually takes about 30-40 minutes to cook. For a grain, barley is quite the nutritional superstar.
It’s a good source of selenium, copper, chromium, magnesium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, niacin and other important minerals and antioxidants, plus it’s lower in calories than a lot of other grains, as well as higher in fibre. Did I mention it’s very inexpensive? Plant-power for the win!! Barley is actually an awesome grain to enjoy at breakfast, but more on that in another post!
Then there’s the kale. I won’t go in to the to the details of this nutritional powerhouse but it’s a good one, eat lots of it. We’ve also got some turmeric, nature’s medicinal superfood, healthy pistachios, antioxidant-rich red peppers and fresh parsley, health-promoting garlic and some sweet, plump raisins, just for fun!
PS. Pistachios aren’t cheap so feel free to sub them with pine nuts, chopped almonds or walnut pieces.Print
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 5 cups kale, de-stemmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup raw pistachio kernels, unsalted
- For the Dressing:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the barley according to instructions.
- Add the kale, parsley and red pepper to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth. Pour over the kale mixture, stirring until the kale is well coated.
- Once the barley is cooked, drain any excess water and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold in the raisins and pistachios.