Vegan Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls
Who doesn’t love the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate? Have you ever met anyone who didn’t? It’s a delicious match made in sweet, sweet peanut butter heaven and this vegan chocolate covered peanut butter balls recipe is the perfect way to pair the two.
A Healthier Peanut Butter Ball Recipe
Traditional peanut butter balls are made with a ton of butter and powdered sugar, on the other hand, these sweet little balls dipped in chocolate have no refined sugar. Instead, they’re sweetened with just 2 tbsp of maple syrup and coated in rich, dark dairy-free chocolate.
I also used a small amount of coconut oil and nutritional yeast for flavour and texture. The nutritional yeast actually makes them taste like a Reese Peanut Butter Cup! Yes, you heard right! A healthy Reese Peanut Butter Cup in melt-in-your-mouth vegan format.
To make the peanut butter filling, make sure you use natural peanut butter and not a processed variety. There are plenty of good brands in stores or you can always make your own at home.
The ingredients listed should be peanuts or peanuts and salt and there should be no sugar or oil listed as an ingredient. You can also use almond butter or another nut butter of choice if you can’t do peanut butter. These are amazing with almond butter too.
For the delicious, simple chocolate coating for these balls, you’ll want to get your hands on some quality dark chocolate or vegan chocolate chips. I like Green & Blacks Organic Dark Chocolate or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
Other than the chocolate and peanut butter, you’ll just need a little maple syrup, coconut oil and nutritional yeast (not sure what nutritional yeast is? Read this post.) to finish these up. Once the balls have been dipped in chocolate and set, they’re ready to enjoy.
As for tools, you’ll need a mixing spoon, a medium or large mixing bowl for the peanut butter filling, a double boiler, a baking tray and some parchment paper.
If you don’t have a double boiler, simply place a glass or metal bowl over a small pot of boiling water, place the chocolate in the bowl and stir until smooth and melted. The chocolate can also be melted in the microwave 10-30 seconds at a time, mixing in between, until smooth and creamy.
Mmmm…chocolate peanut butter balls. These simple vegan treats are crunchy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth on the inside with the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
More Dessert Recipes
Loving this peanut butter balls recipe? You might like these ones too:
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- 2-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Caramel Cups
- Chocolate Superfood Energy Balls
- Tahini Cacao Fudge Balls
- Peanut Butter Eggs
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
For the Peanut Butter Filling
For the Chocolate Coating
- Vigorously mix together everything except the chocolate in a large bowl for about 60 seconds. It should begin to thicken up a little.
- Place the bowl in the freezer until it firms up enough to roll into balls. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Once it’s ready, roll the peanut butter mixture into 18-20 approximately 1.5 inch balls and place back in the freezer.
- Melt the dark chocolate or chocolate chips in a double boiler or bowl placed over a pot of boiling water.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Once the chocolate is totally melted, roll each peanut butter ball in the melted chocolate using a fork or toothpick until it’s completely covered.
- Tap any excess chocolate off on the side of the bowl before placing on the cookie sheet.
- Once you’ve covered them all, place in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.
- They will melt at room temperature, so store in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to eat.
Keywords: vegan peanut butter balls