Vegan Apple Crisp with Date and Oat Crust
This Vegan Apple Date Crisp features a delicious topping made with dates and oats instead of butter, flour and brown sugar. This isn’t exactly like your typical crisp but it’s delicious and it’s refined sugar-free, gluten-free and tastes amazing. The date, oat and almond crust is nice and thick, just the way it should be!
Crisp or Crumble
Crisps, or crumbles as some call them, are some of the easiest desserts to make and I’m sure some, if not all of you have had one before. Apple, rhubard, strawberry – there are so many options and they make the perfect summer dessert!
You might just have everything you need to make this already. These are all kitchen staples for me. I’m never without medjool dates, almonds, coconut oil, oats or apples and the rest of the ingredients are common pantry items.
Vegan Apple Date Crisp
The next time you have some apples that need to be used up, try this quick and easy, crunchy, tasty baked dish of goodness! Enjoy!Print
- 4 cups peeled and chopped apples
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup packed and pitted medjool dates, mashed
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chopped, peeled apples, 1/4 cup coconut sugar, cornstarch, water and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well.
- After mixing well, place in the bottom of a square baking pan.
- Mix the coconut oil, oats, dates, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and chopped almonds together in a bowl. Alternatively, pulse together in a blender or food processor.
- Press into the pan on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.