- 500 g white button mushrooms, chopped (approx. 4 cups)
- 1 medium onions, diced (1 cups, 175 g)
- 2 cloves garlic (10 g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (25 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves removed from step and chopped (or 1 tsp dry)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (2 cups, 275 g)
- 2 celery stalks, washed and diced (1 cup 150 g)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomato (796 ml)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic until mushrooms have cooked out and absorbed their liquid, approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Add the thyme, carrots and celery, cooking for another 3-5 minutes stirring often to avoid any chance of burning.
- Stir in the stock and crushed tomatoes. Allow to simmer lightly for an additional 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When carrots are tender to the touch, blend bolognese with an immersion blender in pulses, until all of the vegetables have been blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in freshly chopped parsley or basil and serve over your favourite pasta, if desired.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Let cool before covering and storing.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 137
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan bolognese, vegan bolognese sauce