These Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are topped with creamy avocado, tangy vegan ranch dressing and crunch green onions. You will love the flavour in this healthy and satisfying vegan meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
For the Buffalo Chickpeas
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or approx. 2 cups or 360 grams cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
For the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 package (150 g) of soft tofu (see notes for substitution)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- optional: 2 tbsp of fresh chopped dill, chives or parsley
For the Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 small to medium-sized baked sweet potato per person (or half a medium to large-sized)
- 1/4 of an avocado per person
- chopped green onion, for topping
- If you don’t have cooked sweet potatoes on hand, bake those now. You will need up to 50 minutes, depending on their size. Find complete instructions on baking sweet potatoes here.
- Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas in a bowl and mix with 1/3 cup buffalo sauce, the olive, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook in a pan until they start to thicken and almost caramelize. This should take about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. As you stir, mash some of them up to create some texture
- Once they’re done, mix in the extra 1 tbsp of buffalo sauce.
To Make the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Add all ingredients (except the herbs, if you’re using) to a food processor or high-speed blender, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth and creamy. I like using the single-server portion of my Ninja Blender for this.
- Add additional water if desired to adjust the consistency.
- If you’re adding fresh dill or parsley, stir them in once it’s blended.
To Assemble the Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- If using halved baked sweet potatoes, place 1-2 halves in a bowl or on a plate. If using whole sweet potatoes, cut the sweet potato in half and open it up a bit so you can add the rest of the ingredients, place in a bowl or on a plate.
- Add a scoop of chickpeas, sliced avocado, chopped green onion, and a drizzle of the vegan ranch dressing.
I haven’t tried making the chickpeas without the olive oil but if you prefer, I think it would be okay to leave it out if you want the recipe to be oil-free.
As an alternative to soft tofu, you can use raw cashews to make the vegan ranch dressing. Use 1/3 cup raw cashews blender with 2 tbsp of water to replace the 1/2 a package of tofu. The rest of the ingredients can stay the same except you may need to adjust the water a bit to reach the right consistency. For best results and the smoothest dressing, soak the cashews for at least a few hours and drain before using.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: stuffed sweet potatoes, chickpea stuffed sweet potato