For the Red Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (use broth or water for oil-free)
- 1 medium white onion, diced (reserve 1/4 cup for the beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup dry white rice
For the Chili Lime Black Beans
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cans black beans, well-rinsed, drained (about 3 cups)
For the Burritos
- large wheat or corn tortillas
- grated carrot (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- avocado or guacamole (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- finely chopped cilantro (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- optional: shredded vegan cheese, salsa, vegan sour cream
- Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 6-7 minutes in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-hight heat until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the rice, broth, water and tomato and cook, covered until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add the extra onion and garlic to a skillet with the black beans, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash up some of the beans in the pan and cook for about 5-8 minutes until heated through.
- Once the rice and beans are done, add to a large tortilla with your favourite burrito fillings like cilantro, carrot, guacamole, vegan sour cream and salsa, roll up and enjoy!
Keywords: homemade, easy, best, healthy