- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted is even better!)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 6-8” inch corn tortilla
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 19 oz can black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeño in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring until soft and fragrant.
- Add the diced tomato, vegetable stock, tortilla, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir well and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, cilantro and lime and simmer a few more minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or by placing most of the soup in a blender, blend just enough to ensure the tortilla has been blended completely into the soup. You want to leave it a little chunky.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, fresh lime and crispy tortilla strips.
To make crispy tortilla strips, cut 1/2-1 corn tortilla per person into approximately 1/4-1/2 inch strips. Fry the strips in a large pan with 1-2 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Flip and stir frequently to ensure they don’t burn. It took me about 10-12 minutes to get them nice and crispy. I also added a little salt and pepper to the pan for seasoning. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
Keywords: healthy tortilla soup, plant-based tortilla soup, simple, easy