These double chocolate energy bars are a serious crowd-pleaser. They take just minutes to prepare in a food processor and after setting in the freeze, you’ll have delicious, homemade energy bars ready to enjoy.
- 1 ½ cups packed, soft pitted dates (350 g)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (35 g)
- 1/2 cup whole chia seeds (75 g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (45 g)
- 1 cup raw walnut pieces (125 g)
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (70 g)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, optional, enhances flavour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, optional, enhances flavour
- It’s important to use soft, moist dates in this recipe. If your dates are on the dry side, place them in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe. If you’re unsure, it can’t hurt to soak the dates first.
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and blend until broken down into a grainy consistency. It’s ok if there are some larger chunks left behind but they should resemble a coarse flour.
- Add the dates and blend until the dates and walnuts form a thick, sticky paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until it forms a thick dough. You should easily be able to press the dough together between your fingers. If it seems too crumbly (this can happen if the dates were dry), add 1-2 tbsp of warm water and process again.
- Line a square 7 or 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the sides of the pan. Use your hands to firmly press the mixture into the pan, taking a few minutes to make sure it’s really pressed down, especially in the corners. You can wet your hands if it helps to smooth the top out.
- Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour to firm.
- Lift out of the pan using the edges of the parchment and cut into 14 bars.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 234 calories
- Sugar: 17 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
Keywords: chia seed bars, plant-based, no-bake, homemade, healthy, easy