For the Tofu Feta
- 1 350 g package extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
For the Bowls (makes 4)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/2 tsp olive oil for massaging kale
- 40 kalmata olives
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 1 cup quick pickled red onion or thinly sliced red onion
- 4–8 tbsp of tahini or lemon tahini sauce
- fresh lemon
- 8 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- If you want to make the quick pickled red onions, start those now as they need to sit 30 minutes as well.
- To make the tofu feta, first press the tofu for at least 20 minutes, then crumble or cube the tofu. Add all ingredients to a container and marinate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight. If you have an hour or two to marinate, that’s perfect.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions, or bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of uncooked rinsed quinoa, cover and reduce to a very light simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and lfuff with a fork.
- Remove the kale leaves from the tough stems and finely chop. Place in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Massage with hands for 30 seconds or longer until softened. If you prefer, you can leave kale raw or steam for 1 minute to lightly cook.
- Dice the cucumber and tomato and finely chop the parsley.
- Assemble the bowls by preparing 4 bows or food storage containers, start with a bed of kale in each, then add the quinoa, tofu feta, olives, cucumber, tomato and hummus.
- Top each serving with tahini or lemon tahini sauce, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve right away.
Find full instructions on how to make pickled red onions here.
Details on how to press tofu can be found here. Pressing is optional but it will help the tofu absorb more flavour.
Quinoa, red onions and tofu can be made up to 4 days in advance. Veggies can be chopped up to 2 days in advance. Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 870 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 20 g
Keywords: quinoa salad bowl, mediterranean quinoa bowl