- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (use vegetable stock or water if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 package organic firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press your tofu for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the raw cashews and almond milk in a high speed blender and mix until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add all the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, maple syrup, cubed tofu and cashew mixture. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with rice and fresh cilantro.
- It’s not 100% necessary to press your tofu if you’re in a pinch. However, I would recommend it if you have time. Simply fold a dish cloth around the block of tofu and set a few heavy books or plates on top of it. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. This presses all the water out so it’s able to soak up all the yummy Indian flavours!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 377 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: vegan butter chicken, vegan butter tofu