- 1 1/3 cup spelt flour or all purpose flour (180 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (75 g)
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (105 g)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk (177 mL, such as almond or cashew)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (25 g)
- 1 cup grated carrot (90 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a standard-sized loaf pan (approx. 8.5 x 4 inches) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt.
- Now add all the wet ingredients, banana puree, milk, vanilla and the apple cider vinegar and mix well until all the flour is wetted.
- Fold in the grated carrots and the chopped walnuts and mix until combined.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
For frosting or icing, try the cashew frosting from my raw vegan carrot cake or vegan cinnamon rolls. For a glaze, use the powdered sugar glaze from my vegan monkey bread. Another frosting option is to use vegan store-bought cream cream sweetened to taste with a bit of maple syrup, stevia or powdered sugar.
Storing: Let cool completely before storing. Store wrapped in foil or saran or in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. If freezing, either wrap whole in saran or foil and store in a freezer-safe bag or container or slice and wrap individual pieces. Freeze up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: carrot cake banana bread, carrot banana bread