- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and excess liquid squeeze out (150 g, about 1 cup before draining)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (225 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (80 ml)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla coconut yogurt, at room temperature (115 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (55 g)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grate the zucchini and place in a strainer to drain. You can squeeze it with your hand or use a spatula to press it against the side of the strainer to remove excess liquid. Alternatively, wrap the grated zucchini up in a dish cloth and squeeze out excess water.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt) to a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Make sure no clumps remain and the baking powder and baking soda have been thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the drained grated zucchini to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until the pieces are distributed and coated in flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (coconut oil, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup). Note that it is important these are all room temperature otherwise the coconut oil will solidify. If you only have chilled applesauce and yogurt, warm them briefly in the microwave until they come to room temperature. If you’re using an alternative oil, no need to worry if the ingredients are chilled.
- Making a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and gently fold together until all of the flour has been wetted, taking care not to over work the batter.
- Lastly, fold in the crushed walnuts
- Lightly spray a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray then scoop the batter into the pan and shake or spread to even it out.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes then run a knife along the sides and carefully flip out the pan.
- Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy!
Coconut oil may be substituted with canola oil, avocado oil, melted vegan butter or olive oil.
Storing: Let cool completely then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze whole or in slices, wrapped well in tin foil and placed in a freezer bag or container for best results. That at room temperature or in the fridge before enjoying.
Loaf pan size: The bread works best in a smaller sized loaf pan, approximately 8-8.5 inch x 4 inches. If you only have a larger pan, it will be okay just note that the finished loaf will be shallower.
For best results and accuracy, use a kitchen scale to measure ingredients.
Do not skip draining the zucchini other the loaf will be soggy.
For an extra treat, add 1/4 cup chocolate chips with the walnuts.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 312
- Sodium: 15 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan zucchini bread, eggless zucchini bread