For the Lentil Taco Meat
- 2 cups cooked green or brown lentils
- 1 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin
- 1/2 tsp each oregano, paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Tofu Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup soft tofu
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of sea salt
For the Salad
- romaine lettuce
- diced avocado
- diced tomato
- black beans, pinto beans or refried beans
- To make the lentil taco filling, add the diced onion and spices to a skillet with a few tablespoons of the water. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat until soft and fragrant. Add the cooked lentils and the rest of the water and cook for a few more minutes until the lentils are heated through and coated in the spices. If needed, add a bit of extra water if it starts to dry out.
- To make the tofu sour cream, blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- To assemble the salads, add a handful of romaine lettuce to a bowl then top with avocado, tomato, corn and beans. Add a couple tablespoons and about 1/2 cup of the lentil mixture to each salad.
Keywords: lentil taco salad, healthy, easy, vegetarian, plant-based