- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) raw pecans (or almonds)
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) packed, pitted soft dates
- 2 1/2 tbsp rum extract (see notes)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (35 g) cacao powder
- 2 tbsp (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 g) almond butter
- heaping 1/3 cup (3/4 of a bar, 75 g) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- optional: shredded coconut or cacao powder for rolling
- Place the pecans in a food processor or high-powered blender and process until they form a fine flour.
- Add the dates, rum extract, cacao powder and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Melt the dark chocolate, almond butter and maple syrup together in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stovetop until smooth then pour over the rest of the ingredients.
- Process until it forms a thick dough.
- Roll into approximately 22 balls (if it’s too sticky, place the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes before rolling).
- Roll the balls in shredded coconut or cacao powder, if desired.
- Place in the freezer for 3 hours to set.
- Serve or store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months. I like them straight from the freezer best.
I could only find imitation rum extract in my local store and it required quite a bit to get the rum flavour to come through. Natural rum flavour (also called essence or extract) would be preferable as it has a much stronger, richer flavour. If you’re using natural rum extract, start with 1 tbsp and add more to taste.
If you prefer, you can use dark rum instead of rum extract. Start with 2 tbsp and add more to taste. If the dough becomes too wet, add extra cocoa powder.
To make these sweeter, use dairy-free chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate.
It’s important to use soft, fresh dates in no-bake recipes. If your dates are hard and dry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and drain well before using.
It’s not necessary to refrigerate the dough before rolling but I found it to be less messy and sticky if I let it firm up a bit first.
Keywords: raw rum balls, no-bake rum balls