Easy to make with wholesome ingredients but still rich and decadent, these no-bake vegan rum balls are perfect for your Christmas goodie tray!
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) raw pecans (or almonds)
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) packed, pitted soft dates
- 2 1/2 tbsp rum extract (see notes)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (35 g) cacao powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 g) almond butter
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped (85 g) dark chocolate or dairy-free chocolate chips
- Place the pecans in a food processor or high-powered blender and process until they form a fine flour.
- Add the dates, rum extract, cacao powder and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Melt the dark chocolate, almond butter and maple syrup together in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stovetop until smooth then pour over the rest of the ingredients.
- Process until it forms a thick dough.
- Roll into approximately 22 balls (if it’s too sticky, place the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes before rolling).
- Roll the balls in shredded coconut or cacao powder, if desired.
- Serve or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week or freezer (recommended) for up to 3 months. Keep cold until just before serving. They’re ok at room temperature for 1-2 hours but will start to get soft if it’s warm.
I could only find imitation rum extract and it required quite a bit to get the rum flavour to come through. Natural rum flavour (also called essence or extract) would be preferable as it has a much stronger, richer flavour. If you’re using natural rum extract, start with 1 tbsp and add more to taste.
If you prefer, you can use dark rum instead of rum extract. Start with 2 tbsp and add more to taste. If the dough becomes too wet, add extra cocoa powder to adjust the consistency.
As is, there are quite rich with a dark chocolate flavour. To make them sweeter, use dairy-free chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate.
It’s important to use soft, moist dates. If your dates are hard and dry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and drain well before using.
- Serving Size: 1 rum balls
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: raw rum balls, no-bake rum balls