For the Cilantro Chili Lime Quinoa (makes 4 salads)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- big handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp each chili powder, paprika and garlic powder
- generous pinch of sea salt
For the Cashew Chipotle Sauce (makes 4 salads)
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 2 tsp of the adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
For the Fiesta Salad
- diced avocado
- diced fresh tomato
- handful of shredded romaine lettuce
- black beans
- corn kernels
- crushed tortilla chips (see notes)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- cubed tempeh (see notes)
- diced bell peppers, any colour
- diced red or white onion, or chopped green onion
- Cook the Quinoa. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. I cooked 1 cup dry which made 3 cups cooked, or enough for 4 large burrito bowls. Once cooked, mix with cilantro, lime, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika and sea salt.
- Make the Chipotle Sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients to a high-speed blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the Fiesta Salad. To assemble the salad, start with some romaine lettuce then top with the rest of the ingredients, including 3/4 cup of cooked quinoa, drizzle with a generous amount of the chipotle sauce and enjoy.
- To make your own tortilla chips, slice a corn (or wheat) tortilla into strips and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until crispy. Once the strips are cool enough to handle, crumble them over your salad.
- To make the tempeh, cut a block of tempeh into cubes then either cook over medium-heat in a non-stick pan until starting to brown or bake at 350 degrees on a lined baking sheet until browned, about 15-20 minutes. I used a flavoured tempeh but if your tempeh is plain, toss it with some garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, pepper and paprika after heating.
- The sauce makes enough for 4-6 large salads. Adjust the rest of the ingredients as needed.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 594
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 86 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: quinoa taco salad, healthy, plant-based