- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and diced (substitute 1 jalepeno or omit if you don’t want it spicy!))
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 plantains, sliced
- 1 cup (200 g) black-eyed beans, tinned and strained
- 1 cup (200 g) chickpeas, tinned and strained
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) vegetable stock
- 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil into a large pot on medium heat (use a splash of water or both to make this recipe oil-free). Add the shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon and stir slightly, then allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the thyme, peppers, chopped tomatoes and plantain.Stir into the other ingredients. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, black eyed peas, chickpeas, sliced chillies and the juice of a lime. Simmer oven medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve with steaming hot basmati rice.
Original recipe can be found on HelloFresh.
Keywords: easy, fast, dinner, Jamaican