- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (200 g) dried green or brown lentils
- 3⁄4 cup (130 g) quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups (950 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 to 5 cups (120 to 150 g) firmly packed, chopped spinach, chard, collard greens, or kale
- 1 cup (240 ml) full-fat coconut milk or cashew cream (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: toasted cashews, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Stir in the salt, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes, lentils, and quinoa, then stir in the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. If the curry is very thick, you can add 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) water to thin it slightly. Add the greens, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, letting the greens steam on top of the curry.
Stir in the greens, then stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Season with black pepper, then taste and adjust the seasonings if desired. Serve right away, with any additional toppings you like.
Reprinted with permission from Power Plates, copyright © 2018 by Gena Hamshaw. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Cashew Cream (makes 1 cup): 3⁄4 cup (95 g) raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained 2⁄3 cup (160 ml) water 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Combine all the ingredients in a blender (preferably a high-speed blender) and process until very smooth. Find full details on how to make cashew cream here.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 414 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: lentils and quinoa, curried lentils, easy lentil recipe