- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 2 small white onions, diced (200 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (10 g)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced (280 g)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced (50 g)
- 1 cup corn (130 g)
- 1 19oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (540 ml)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zest and juice (2 tbsp juice)
- 12 8 inch wheat or corn tortilla
- 2 packages or 1 jar red or green enchilada sauce (500 ml, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese of choice, optional
- fresh chopped cilantro, for topping
- 2 medium avocado, skin and seed removed (250 g)
- 2/3 cup light or full-fat coconut milk (160 mL)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, jalapeno, corn, black beans and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes, stiring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice and zest.
- If you’re using corn tortillas, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds. This part is very important as it keeps the tortillas moist and stops them from cracking and breaking while rolling.
- Using an oven safe baking dish, place ¼ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, scoop ¼ cup of filling into the middle of the tortilla and roll it up. Place each tortilla in a tight line down the centre of the baking dish one by one, seam-side down. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese, if using. Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- If you used cheese, you can broil the enchiladas for 1-2 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- To make the optional avocado crema, blend all of the ingredients until smooth in a small blender or food processor or use an immersion blender in a suitable container.
- Serve immediately with fresh chopped cilantro, the optional avocado crema or any other toppings you might like such as sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition facts do not include avocado crema.
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: vegan black bean enchiladas, black bean corn enchiladas