- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL, use water or broth for oil-free)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup, 150 g)
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped (60 g)
- 2 ½ cups of cooked long-grain white or brown rice (575 g)
- 1 15 oz can lentils, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked green or brown lentils)
- 2 tsp za’atar seasoning
- 1 tsp sumac, optional
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced (45 g)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper cook until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and cook for another 2 minutes,
- Add the cooked rice, lentils and za’atar, stir to combine and cook until rice is hot, allowing to sit for 2-3 minutes at a time to allow it to brown and crisp.
- Stir in the kalamata olives and remove from heat.
- Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired.
The fried rice can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days. Not suitable for freezing.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 286
- Sodium: 273 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: rice and lentils, mediterranean rice and lentils