- 1 medium white onion, diced (approx. 2 cups, 300 g)
- 3 carrots, chopped into thick rounds (approx. 2 cups, 300 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (approx. 320 g)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp each cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked red lentils
- 1 14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with the juices
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or pure maple syrup
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic to a soup pot with a splash of water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes. Add more water if it starts to dry out.
- Add the spices and stir to combine. Cook for another minute or two, adding a splash more water if needed.
- Add the lentils, diced tomatoes, coconut milk and stock.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft and almost mushy.
- Stir in the coconut sugar and soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari).
- Serve right away or let cool and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: easy, one pot, healthy, vegetarian, low-fat