- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g)
- 1 medium white onion, diced (approx. 1 1/2 cups, 215 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each ground thyme and oregano
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots (300 g)
- 4 heaping cups or 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets (450 g)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (30 g)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice (250 g)
- 1 tsp each sea salt and black pepper, or more to taste
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice (1-2 tbsp)
- Cook the wild rice according to package instructions. While it’s cooking, proceed with making the soup.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to at least a 7.5 qt soup pot with 2 tablespoons of water and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until starting to soften, stirring often (alternatively, you can saute the veggies in 1 tbsp of olive oil). If the pot starts to dry out at any time, add another tablespoon of water. Add the thyme and oregano, stir to combine and cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, carrot and all of the vegetable broth and simmer over medium heat until the carrots and cauliflower are tender. This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Scoop half of the soup into a blender. Make sure you leave a crack in the lid to let the steam escape. Start blending on low then increase to high and blend until smooth and creamy. Once it’s blended, pour it back into the soup pot with the rest of the soup.
- Stir in the cooked wild rice.
- Season with the salt and pepper and if desired, a squeeze fresh lemon.
- Serve right away with chopped fresh chives or green onion or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 2 months.
- Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen. Reheat stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe (350 g)
- Calories: 125
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: cauliflower wild rice soup, vegan wild rice soup