Featuring roasted butternut squash, pomegranate, kale and orange dressing, this stunning wild rice salad is bursting with flavour and texture. It’s sure to be a hit at your next holiday gathering.
For the Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup wild rice (200 g)
- ½ medium butternut squash, cubed (4 cups/600 g)
- 2 tsp oil (10 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (75 g)
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped (20 g)
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- ¼ cup pistachios or pumpkin seeds (40 g)
For the Dressing
- Cook Wild Rice: Cover the wild rice with water in a large pot and add about 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 40-50 minutes until the rice is tender. Drain well. If you have time though not required, spread the drained rice on a baking sheet to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe, otherwise drain well and then add to the salad in step 4.
- Roast Squash: While the rice cooks, on a parchment-lined baking sheet (optional to line with parchment), toss squash with 2 tsp oil, cumin and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20-25 min, shaking the pan half way through, until tender and golden.
- Make Dressing: In the bowl you plan to mix the salad in, add the orange juice, 2 tsp orange zest (avoid bitter white pith and use outermost peel only), maple syrup, Dijon and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Toss Salad: To the bowl with the dressing, add the cooked wild rice, roasted squash, kale, parsley, green onions and half the pomegranate. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Serve: Sprinkle pistachios or pumpkin seeds over top, along with remaining pomegranate and serve.
Dressing can be made 1-2 days ahead. You can cook rice 1-2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Serves 4 as a main dish, 6-8 as a side dish. Nutrition facts are for 6 servings.
To remove the arils from the pomegranate, cut it in half so you have the top and bottom pieces. Hold each half over a large bowl (there will be some spray from the juices) and hit the sides with a wooden spoon. Keep tapping around the edges and top until all of the arils fall out, squeezing a little to loosen them.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of salad
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: wild rice salad