Flavourful vegetarian fajita bowls featuring “meaty” marinated mushrooms, fajita veggies, rice, black beans and avocado. Perfect for a healthy dinner or meal prep!
For the Marinated Mushrooms
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges (535 g)
For the Fajita Bowls
- Combine Fajita Spices: In a small bowl mix together all of the marinade spices until combined.
- Mix Mushroom Marinade: Add ½ of the spice mixture to a mixing bowl with the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix thoroughly, breaking up any clumps.
- Marinate Mushrooms: Add the sliced mushrooms to the bowl with the marinade and mix until they are well coated. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Cook Rice: While the mushrooms are marinating, cook your rice according to package instructions, adding the cumin to the rice. Once the rice is finished cooking, fold in the lime zest.
- Cook Fajita Veggies: Heat the 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet or large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions and the remaining spice mixture. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring often, until the peppers and onions are soft.
- Broil Mushrooms: Preheat oven on the broil setting. Lay the marinated mushrooms flat on a baking sheet. Place in the oven on broil for 2 minutes, remove from the oven and flip and broil for an additional 1 minute.
- Assemble the Fajita Bowls: When everything is ready, assemble your bowls by dividing the ingredients equally between 4 bowls.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish the bowls with cilantro, green onions and avocado. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
The recipe can make 4-6 bowls. If you’re making 6 bowls, increase the rice to 2 cups uncooked and include an extra avocado so you have half per bowl. Note that if you’re making these for meal prep to leave the avocado off until just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 479
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 19 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: veggie fajita bowl, vegetarian fajita bowl