Hearty and satisfying vegan stuffed poblano peppers with a flavourful rice, bean and corn filling topped with cheese and baked to perfection.
For the Rice
- ¾ cup uncooked white rice
- ½ red onion, diced (105 g, ¾ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
For the Peppers
- 6 poblano peppers
- 1 19 fl oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals (150 g)
- 1 cup salsa (245 g)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- vegan cheese, shredded
Avocado Crema (Optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 2–3 tbsp water for thinning
- Cook Rice: In a medium pot, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add onion and garlic. Season with salt. Cook for 2-4 min, stirring occasionally, until almost tender.
- Add cumin, smoked paprika and rice. Cook for 1 min, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Add 1 ¼ cups water. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12-14 min, until water is absorbed. Let rice rest, off heat for 5 min. Season rice with salt, then fluff with a fork.
- Prep & Broil Poblanos: Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut around the stem of each pepper like you would a pumpkin then pull out the stem and shake the seeds free. Cut from top to end, but don’t cut all the way in half. You just want to create a pocket.
- Arrange poblanos on the prepared baking sheet. Broil for 6-7 min, flip over, then broil for another 6-7 min, until almost tender and charred in spots.
- Prepare Filling: Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add beans, corn, salsa, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 min, stirring often, until warmed through. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When rice is done, add to the pan with beans, along with cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Assemble & Bake Peppers: Reduce oven temperature to 425 F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Once poblanos have cooled enough to handle, arrange the peppers in the baking dish. Leaving peppers as intact as you can, evenly stuff each pepper with rice and bean filling, about ½ cup scoop per pepper. Once you’ve added 1/2 cup per pepper, divide the remaining filling between each pepper until they’re stuffed or reserve any extra to serve alongside peppers or other use like burrito filling or salad topper. Sprinkle tops with cheese, if using.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 8-10 min, until the cheese melts and the tops are golden.
- Make Avocado Crema (Optional): While peppers bake, make the crema. Add avocado, lime juice, cilantro and garlic to a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2-3 tbsp water, then blend until smooth. Add more water, as necessary, until a smooth sauce is achieved. If not making avocado crema, prepare some salsa, guacamole or sour cream for serving.
- Serve: Divide peppers between plates. Drizzle avocado crema over top. Sprinkle with more cilantro, if desired. Serve more salsa and lime wedges alongside.
Store leftover peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegetarian stuffed poblano peppers, vegan stuffed poblano peppers