- 2 15 oz. cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and mashed (120 g)
- 2 celery stalks and leaves, minced (1 cup, 140 g)
- ½ red onion, minced (1/2 cup, 70 g)
- 1–2 tbsp dijon or yellow mustard (30 g)
- 2 tbsp minced dill pickles (20 g)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- sandwich bread, for serving
- Pulse the garbanzo beans in a food processor. They don’t need a lot of processing, just enough to get that flaky “fish” texture. Pulse 3-4 times, then scrape down the bowl and do a few more, if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the avocado into a paste using a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the blended chickpeas and stir until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Enjoy as is or scoop onto your favourite sandwich bread topped with sprouts, pickles, onion and lettuce!
Nutrition facts are estimated for chickpea filling only and do not include bread.
Leftover salad is best consumed within 1-2 days due to the fresh avocado. The recipe makes quite a lot so feel free to half or even quarter it if you won’t be eating it all within 1-2 days. It would be find to eat after 3-4 days but note it will brown due to the avocado. This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 181
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: vegan tuna salad, vegan chickpea salad sandwich