This tiramisu features fluffy ladyfinger sponge dipped in spiked coffee and layered with mascarpone-style cream for the ultimate vegan dessert!
For the Ladyfingers
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp (80 g) plant-based butter, softened
- ½ cup (115 g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) almond milk
For the “Cream” Filling
- 1 ¾ cup (230 g) raw cashews
- 1/2 cup (12o mL) almond milk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 200 g silken tofu or soft tofu
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
Coffee Soaking Liquid
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) espresso or very strong coffee, cooled
- 3 tbsp dark rum, optional (substitute rum essence for alcohol-free)
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Prepare: Line 1 large or 2 smaller baking sheets that will be able to fit in your fridge with parchment paper.
- Soak Cashews: Bring a pot or kettle of water to a boil then pour it over the cashews in a heat-safe bowl and set aside to soak. The cashews can also be pre-soaked up to overnight (recommended if you do not have a high-speed blender or powerful food processor).
Make the Ladyfingers
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Mix together the cornstarch, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In another bowl, cream together the plant-based butter and sugar using a handheld electric mixer until combined, about 1 minute. You can also use a stand mixer where the handheld mixer is noted.
- Add Aquafaba and Vanilla: Add the aquafaba and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and cream for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Don’t worry if it doesn’t come together into a smooth mixture, it will when you mix in the flour.
- Combine Batter: Add half of the flour mixture into the creamed butter and sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Add the almond milk and the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined and smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pipe Ladyfingers: Add the batter into a piping bag with a round tip or into a zip top bag with the corner cut off. Pipe the ladyfingers onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1-inch of space between each. You should get 25-30 ladyfingers. If you do not have a piping bag or ziplock back to pipe the ladyfingers, you can shape them with your hands. Each cookie should be roughly 1-inch wide and 2-2.5-inches long.
- Chill: Place the ladyfingers in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat Oven: After 20-25 minutes of chilling time, start preheating the oven to 350℉.
- Bake: Bake the ladyfinger for 15 minutes, until the edges are golden and lightly crispy. Set aside to cool completely on the pan.
Make the Mascarpone Cream
- Blend Cashews: Drain and rinse the soaked cashews add them to a blender with the almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cream Tofu & Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, whip together the silken tofu and powdered sugar using a hand-held electric mixer until light and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
- Combine Cashew Cream & Tofu: Fold the cashew mixture into the tofu mixture in the bowl using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Set aside.
Prepare the Coffee Dip
- In a small bowl, whisk together the espresso and dark rum (if using). Set aside. If you’re not using rum, just add the coffee to a bowl for dipping.
Assemble the Tiramisu
- Add a Layer of Mascarpone: In a 9×9-inch square baking dish, spread ½ cup of the cashew cream mixture on the bottom in an even layer.
- Add Ladyfingers Layer: Quickly dip a ladyfinger into the coffee mixture and place on the cream in the pan. Repeat with more ladyfingers to cover the bottom of the pan. You may have to cut or break some ladyfingers to cover the cream in the bottom of the pan.
- Continue Layering: Spread about half of the remaining mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers and then add a second layer of dipped ladyfingers. Spread the rest of the mascarpone cream over the ladyfingers and smooth it out.
- Chill: Refrigerate the tiramisu for at least 4 hours, but 24 hours is best.
- Dust with Cocoa Powder: Before cutting and serving, cover the cake with a dusting of cocoa powder. You can also add some milk or dark chocolate shavings if you like.
- Slice and Serve: Cut into 9 equal portions and serve.
Before you start, review all instructions and the photo step-by-step in the post above so you know how everything should look and have good idea of the process. The post above also covers possible substitutions and storing instructions.
I highly recommend using a digital kitchen scale to measure your ingredients according to the weights provided to ensure exact measurements. Cup measurements can vary greatly so weighs are the best way to ensure success!
The recipe makes 9 large servings of tiramisu but can also make 12 or 16 smaller squares.
Lightly adapted from Tasty.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 21 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: vegan tiramisu, dairy-free tiramisu