- 1 cup peeled, cooked and well mashed sweet potatoes (240 g)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (80 g)
- ½ cup drippy almond butter (120 g)
- ½ cup plant-based milk (100 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (30 g)
- ½ cup spelt flour (55 g)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips, optional (85 g)
- Prepare Sweet Potato: If you don’t have sweet potato on hand, you’ll need to prepare that first and allow time for it to cool. Either peel, cube and steam for 15 minutes before mashing and cooling or bake in the oven on a baking pan, poked with a few holes, until fork tender. Let cool then scoop flesh out of peel, mash and cool.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Prepare Baking Pan: Prepare an approximately 8-9 inch square baking pan with a light coating of non-stick spray, lightly grease with oil or line with parchment paper.
- Mix Wet Ingredients & Sugar: Add the mashed sweet potatoes, coconut sugar, almond butter and coconut milk to a mixing bowl and mix well until completely combined and smooth.
- Mix Batter: Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until the flour is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using. If you’re adding anything else, like chopped walnuts, add those now as well.
- Add to Pan & Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle more chocolate chips over top, if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool Brownies: Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. The longer they cool, the denser, fudgier and firmer they’ll be, so completely cooling in the pan is ideal.
- Slice & Serve: Slice the brownies and serve as is or lightly warmed with a scoop of your favourite ice cream or whipped cream!
Coconut sugar can be substituted with cane sugar.
Nut-Free Option: Almond butter can be substituted with peanut butter or for nut-free brownies, sunflower seed butter or tahini.
Storing: Let cool before storing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freezer for up to 3 months. Ok at room temperature for a couple of days if taking to-go. If frozen, thaw at room temperature or in the fridge or microwave.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 47 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: sweet potato brownies, vegan sweet potato brownies