- boiling water, enough to cover dates
- 1 1/4 cup packed (290 g), finely chopped pitted dates
- 2 cups (250 g) spelt flour
- 2/3 cup (135 g) coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp psyllium husk powder + 3 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) non-dairy milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted (45 g) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (125 g) plain canned pumpkin puree
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the chopped dates in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the psyllium and water in a small dish and set aside for at least 3 minutes.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and sea salt together in a bowl.
- Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Add the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, psyllium egg, melted coconut oil and pumpkin to the dry ingredients. Drain the dates and add those too.
- Fold together gently until all the dry ingredients are wetted. Do not over mix.
- Line a standard-sized loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread the batter into the pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Let sit in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift or lift out of the pan and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Psyllium powder can be substituted with 1 tbsp ground flax. Coconut sugar can be subbed with white sugar, cane sugar or for sugar-free loaf, granulated monk fruit sweetener.
For best results, use a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients according to recipe.
Storage: Let cool completely before storing. Store whole or in slices wrapped in foil or in a sealable container or bag. Will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 1 week or can be frozen up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw in the fridge, at room temperature or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Sodium: 428 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin bread, vegan pumpkin loaf