For the Brownies
- 1 cup raw almonds (150 g)
- 1 cup raw walnuts (150 g)
- 2 cups packed, soft pitted dates (440 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache and Topping
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (120 g)
- 3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream (45 g)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 large or a few small crushed candy canes
- Line a 7 or 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the sides of the pan.
- Add the almonds and walnuts to a food proccessor and process into a grainy flour.
- Add the rest of the brownie ingredients and blend into a thick, sticky dough you can press between your fingers.
- Firmly press the dough into the lined baking pan. Set aside while you make the ganache.
- Place the candy canes in a bag and smash with a heavy object such as a rolling pin, pepper mill or small hammer.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds until mostly melted, then stirring to melt in any remaining bits, or use a double boiler to melt it.
- Add the coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (shake very well if opening a new can) to the melted chocolate and stir together until combined, smooth and creamy.
- Spread the melted chocolate mixture over the brownies in the pan then sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the chocolate.
- Place the pan in the fridge or freezer until the ganache is firm, about 30-45 minutes.
- Lift the brownies out of the pan and cut into 16 squares.
For peppermint mocha brownies, add 2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee to the brownie mixture.
If you have a smaller baking pan, around 7 inches square that will work best for the thickness of the final brownies.
If you don’t have almonds on hand, you can use 2 cups walnuts or 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of pecans.
It’s important to use soft, moist dates in this recipe. If your dates are overly dry, soak them (pitted) in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: peppermint brownies, peppermint mocha brownies, no-bake peppermint brownies